TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Restoration facts, question and answer. > Part Numbers, AMC Parts ID and cross-references
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

AMC block casting dates

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote captscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/14/2017 at 5:19pm
My 304 came new with a 2bbl manifold.  It wasn't long before I upgrade to a 4bbl carb and bought a 4bbl manifold out of a wrecking yard that I took off a 1970 390 AMX.  It fits, but not easily because two of the holes are slightly misaligned.  In many cases people will elongate those holes so the manifold will bolt up easily on 3rd Gen AMC V8s, however, if all bolts are first hand threaded loosely until all bolts are in, then they can be tightened down, otherwise they are not the same as the 3rd Gen AMC V8 manifolds. 1970 390 4bbl casting number as indicated.

Edited by captscot - Sep/14/2017 at 5:33pm
1972 Javelin AMX - orig owner
1985 Grand Wagoneer
1967 Jeepster
1968 Jeep Gladiator
1959 Jeep CJ5
1929 Marmon model 68
Screwloose View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screwloose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/21/2019 at 10:09pm
Okay I have a similar situation. Perhaps someone could help me identify the year more precisely. I picked up a 304 that was not in its original chassis (someone stuck it in a wrangler). It does not have the original valve covers. I need to order a master rebuild kit for it and the only numbers that I have been able to identify are the numbers near the bell housing mount, but according to Todd Jesme at http://www.planethoustonamx.com/main/amc_engine_casting_numbers.htm that number has a range from 1970 to 1982. Certain parts changed in 79 (I think) such as the timing chain and sprocket, and so there are two kits one for before 1979 and one for after.  Any help would be appreciated.

Number Near Bell Mount 3195527
Number in rocker area  J286   
Number stamped into heads 2024 with a 2 below it.

pacerman View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pacerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/11/2019 at 11:10pm
Originally posted by Screwloose Screwloose wrote:

Okay I have a similar situation. Perhaps someone could help me identify the year more precisely. I picked up a 304 that was not in its original chassis (someone stuck it in a wrangler). It does not have the original valve covers. I need to order a master rebuild kit for it and the only numbers that I have been able to identify are the numbers near the bell housing mount, but according to Todd Jesme at http://www.planethoustonamx.com/main/amc_engine_casting_numbers.htm that number has a range from 1970 to 1982. Certain parts changed in 79 (I think) such as the timing chain and sprocket, and so there are two kits one for before 1979 and one for after.  Any help would be appreciated.

Number Near Bell Mount 3195527
Number in rocker area  J286   
Number stamped into heads 2024 with a 2 below it.

The 286 cast into the lifter valley almost certainly means the block was cast on the 286th day of the year.  The "J" is a new one on me, but if (and it is a big if) we assume that the casting number for that block ending in 527 was used for all the years through 1982, and assuming A would be 1970, then J would stand for 1979.  The block could have been cast on the 286th day of 1979.  Joe

Happiness is making something out of nothing.
odif740 View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote odif740 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/23/2020 at 1:41pm
I would like to revive this thread;

So I have a 6 cyl block in my 66 American with the following codes, what I am finding is contradiction also between "part #" which is cast into the block and "production code" which is hand stamped onto the block.

Part number is cast into the block side:
Above:     H        3
Part: 3190808
Below:      3

Production Code is stamped:

105J20

The contradiction that I am finding is:
a) for the production code I am finding that " J " means it's a 199 cu. in 6 cyl.
b) for the part number cast into the block shows that 3190808 is a 232 cu. in. 6 cyl.

Which is right?
odif740 View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote odif740 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/23/2020 at 1:43pm
I am asking because I would like to determine if this 6 cyl that I have is legit for the trim/engine code that the VIN says it's supposed to have.

VIN says its supposed to have a 232 in it.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic