TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

TPI for AMC...???

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DarkMonohue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/28/2017 at 5:20pm
Boris, I hear what you are saying about the different port spacing. However, given the long distance between the tubular runners and the cylinder heads, there should be plenty of room to gently curve the runners toward the AMC port locations. I do not believe you would have any need to stretch the plenum. You probably wouldn't need to modify the plenum or runners in any significant way.

From a fabrication perspective, I believe it would be easier to build the lower manifold from scratch, with flanges and tubing, than it would to modify an existing AMC intake manifold to accept the TPI runners.

Nobody is planning on adapting the Chevy lower intake manifold to the AMC engine. We all know it won't work, and nobody is plotting it. We can put that idea to rest.

Those who prefer OEM management could certainly use the existing GM stuff. I would lean toward Megasquirt because that's what I have experience with. It has proven very reliable in my other vehicle, and the tunability and flexibility are tough to beat.
Boris Badanov View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boris Badanov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/28/2017 at 5:53pm
I have butchered a few air gap manifolds for the bases as raw material, it's far easier.
Gremlin Dreams
Buzzman72 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Buzzman72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/28/2017 at 7:12pm
DM gets it. Take the Chevy lower intake and THROW IT AWAY.

DON'T EVEN THINK OF TRYING TO ADAPT IT. TOSS IT IN YOUR BEER CANS TO BE RECYCLED.

Then you make an AMC head flange pattern. Make a Chevy intake TUBE flange. Then you add the tubes to attach flange AMC to flange Chevy. Add injector bungs. At that point, you're 95% home.

Not rocket surgery, if you can measure and weld.

Chevy uses a gasket between tubes and lower intake. Between those gaskets and your AMC intake gasket, you should be able to build a simple, relatively crude but effective AMC-specific lower intake.

An Air Gap could be a basis,but I think I could take some plate and some tubes and do the same thing for less money than buying an Air Gap and slicing and dicing it. Look at what the XRV8 dude did to weld up an intake; this concept is just as simple.
Buzzman72...void where prohibited, your mileage may vary, objects in mirror may be closer than they appear, and alcohol may intensify any side effects.
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boris Badanov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/28/2017 at 7:56pm
I have made a few manifolds in my time, have fun!
Gremlin Dreams
DarkMonohue View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DarkMonohue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/28/2017 at 7:59pm
I've yet to build a V8 intake manifold, but have built many headers and similar exhaust system components.

How hard can it be, right?
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boris Badanov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/28/2017 at 8:44pm
A air gap comes with neat stuff already installed
like water cross overs and thermostat housing and
oil filler.

It is dimensionally correct. It makes for great raw material.

I have access to a full job shop but I start
with an air gap after making a few bases from billet.

I guess the answer is that it can be done.

The question is why....
Gremlin Dreams
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DarkMonohue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/28/2017 at 9:04pm
Starting with an air gap manifold makes a lot of sense for those reasons, but the cost is a factor. I hate to buy an expensive, brand new part and then immediately cut it up and discard much of what I just paid for.

If you've done something similar (building custom manifolds around the foundation of an existing part) I'd love to see some examples.
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boris Badanov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/28/2017 at 9:15pm
It is a matter of how you want to spend your money.
Aluminum is not cheep and neither is machining the
various parts. I found that making a base from Aluminum plate
is more expensive in shop rate and material
than buying an air gap and hogging it out.

I have a set of bar stock head plates for iron heads all machined if you want them.
I will never use them.

They were made for this manifold.
Gremlin Dreams
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DarkMonohue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/28/2017 at 9:33pm
Interesting. And handsome. Nice work!

I do CAD for a living and have a good relationship with an excellent local machine shop. Their prices are reasonable even on small run stuff. I mention this not to argue, but to point out that it may actually be a reasonable exercise to get the flanges etc made. Worth exploring, anyway.

Guess I'll have to uncrate the TIG welder and see how it works someday.

Edited by DarkMonohue - May/28/2017 at 9:51pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
  Share Topic