TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Electrical - non engine
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - 1970 Machine turn key off, take out...engine runs
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

1970 Machine turn key off, take out...engine runs

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote musictoyz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1970 Machine turn key off, take out...engine runs
    Posted: Apr/22/2017 at 3:16pm

just started....I can turn the key off, pull it out and the engine is stiill running ? 

I had to pull coil wire to turn engine off....

any thoughts ? 
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/22/2017 at 3:31pm
I had that with my 73 javelin. Found my ignition switch was worn and grease hardened, thus sticking the ignition switch into run even with the key out.

I ended up rebuilding mine at the time, as I was in college and limited budget, books were just purchased.

What you can do temporarily... is squirt a wee bit of liquid wrench. Not a lot, into the switch where the rod pushes the actuator. With no power connected from the battery, use the key to go in the start position and off, back and fourth 10 or so times. You should feel the action become more free and return of the tension as well. Once done, with key off, connect the battery and check to see if the instruments are on. If not go a head and start, let it idle a wee bit and turn off. The switch should allow disengagement and power off the engine. If trouble becomes persistant, replace the ignition switch.
71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
1970390amx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1970390amx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/22/2017 at 3:47pm
An ignition switch is a good place to start. You have power being supplied to the coil when the switch is shut off. When you start the car power is supplied to the coil from the starter solenoid to bypass the resister, the solenoid can be bad. Or you can have a short in the wiring. After you pull the coil wire with the switch off do you have power to the coil?
1970 390 4speed Bittersweet shadow mask AMX
1970 Amx missing most everything, or in a box
Rebel Machine View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel Machine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/22/2017 at 9:36pm
Are you running MSD ignition? I had that problem. There's a solution for it that requires a Mopar ballast resistor.

-Steve-
musictoyz View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote musictoyz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/25/2017 at 6:43pm
I pulled the two middle wires off the starter solonoid and it turned off.....

changed starter solonoid....solved

gents thanks
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic