TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Thoughts on this body damage?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tyrodtom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/26/2017 at 9:45pm
 There were bodymen fixing damage like that with jacks, or pull dozer, along with hammer and dolly before anyone on this forum was born.

And i'm aware there's several 70+ year old members,  I'm one myself.

And even if you do replace that quarter panel,  you still need to put a pull on the damaged panel before you cut it off.
66 American SW, 66 American 2dr, 82 J10, 70 Hornet, Pound, Va.
Bruce Clarkson View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce Clarkson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/27/2017 at 6:27pm
Just had a similar, perhaps worse, hit last year on my '67.  I had a wrinkle in the rear pillar that (in my case was worse but) looks like it could be similar to what I see on your car.  In my case, it required
work on the frame to fix the bend above the when arches.  Luckily I knew a shop with a frame machine that took an interest in my Ambassador.  Than again, perhaps its just a shadow in your picture?  At any rate, check that the rear frame is not bent--- particularly over the axle.

And good luck,
Bruce Clarkson
Bruce Clarkson
AMXFSTBK390 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMXFSTBK390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/27/2017 at 6:58pm
Bruce brings up a good point. A neighbor's 18 year old hit my gorgeous red 69 Chevy Step side truck in the rear driver side. It was parked in front of my house. The impact cracked the US slotted aluminum 8x15 mag, crushed the fender, bent the axle housing and bent the frame. The body shopped that repaired the damage sent the truck to a frame shop and it was put on a frame straightener that had a tram gauge for aligning the frame. The truck drove straight as an arrow when I got it back. Cost the insurance company $4400 altogether. The kid said he was driving less than 10 mph. He totaled his new Toyota Echo on impact.
Questions are powerful tools...what's in your toolbox?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic