TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

High hp Manual Trans for 68 343

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6PakBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/28/2017 at 11:25am
Originally posted by Rebel327 Rebel327 wrote:

... Of course T10 and over 450 hp don't play nice.

From what I gather, the longevity also depends on the first gear ratio in the T-10.
Roger Gazur
1969 'B' Scheme SC/Rambler
1970 RWB 4-spd Machine
1970 Sonic Silver auto AMX

All project cars.

Forum Cockroach
jpnjim View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpnjim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/28/2017 at 12:50pm
Originally posted by 6PakBee 6PakBee wrote:

Originally posted by Rebel327 Rebel327 wrote:

... Of course T10 and over 450 hp don't play nice.

From what I gather, the longevity also depends on the first gear ratio in the T-10.

I've hurt 2nd gear in the stronger 2.23 first T-10's

but that could have been lack of finesse in shifting as a late teen/early 20's driver LOL

The published Torque ratings of the aftermarket T-10's is actually quite low.

(Ignoring all of the above, I'm working on a mild 401 to go in front of a 2.64 T-10 anyway Smile )
71 P-code 4spd Javelin/AMX
some Jeeps and some Fords
6PakBee View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6PakBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/28/2017 at 1:58pm
Originally posted by jpnjim jpnjim wrote:

....(Ignoring all of the above, I'm working on a mild 401 to go in front of a 2.64 T-10 anyway Smile )

Great minds travel in the same gutters.  Big smile  For fuel economy, driveability, and longevity concerns I've pretty much settled on a 2.64 T-10 with a 3.15 rear end for my Machine.
Roger Gazur
1969 'B' Scheme SC/Rambler
1970 RWB 4-spd Machine
1970 Sonic Silver auto AMX

All project cars.

Forum Cockroach
jpnjim View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpnjim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/28/2017 at 2:22pm
Originally posted by 6PakBee 6PakBee wrote:

Originally posted by jpnjim jpnjim wrote:

....(Ignoring all of the above, I'm working on a mild 401 to go in front of a 2.64 T-10 anyway Smile )

Great minds travel in the same gutters.  Big smile  For fuel economy, driveability, and longevity concerns I've pretty much settled on a 2.64 T-10 with a 3.15 rear end for my Machine.

Yes and yes.

Time will tell if we're both right or both wrong,
lots of people complain about gear spacing with the 2.64,  but the numbers don't crunch out that bad for me. Smile
71 P-code 4spd Javelin/AMX
some Jeeps and some Fords
mixed up View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mixed up Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/30/2017 at 12:50am
i have both t10 wide ratio and close ratio in a drag race  car the wide ratio in my opinion is the way to go. the close ratio 1st & 2nd are to close to worrie about using first gear to start out in  i dont know why amc used that close of gear spacing for there cars it might be the big cubic inch to the small cubic inch  is why they did it  my wide ratio came from a 66 rambler v8 car the close ratio came from a swap meet so i know nothing about that tran but i have run both and loved  the wide ratio all book that i have read on t10 say there good to 450hp with no troubles depends on tire size and gears
69 amx 290 auto
65 220 290 4spd
80 ford fairmont
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic