TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Electrical - non engine
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

1973 AMX 140 speedo

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/09/2017 at 2:30pm
Originally posted by Mopar_guy Mopar_guy wrote:

I took 2" out the length of the arm on mine and I used a newer style float from a Ram pickup to make it easier to deal with than those old round floats. I also had to rebend the arm to get it to swing in the right arc. I didn't have to mess with the stops. I'll check to see if I took any pictures. Mines still not perfect but it works well enough to count on it. It's more accurate on the low side and that's where it counts to me.

Thanks for the info, as I thought some length had to play about the scale on the resistance wire. Bending IMO, shortens the scale before hitting the stop. I would not think 2 inches would be needed, but there you go. I was thinking since I may move to a hornet wagon tank, to modify the new replacement to work with it. Thus getting rid of my good oem one, since I don't want to mess with modifying a good piece.

Which brings me to another thing about gas tanks, which I will make a thread on, not to hijack.

71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
kirkwood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kirkwood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/09/2017 at 2:32pm
I also noticed that the stops on the reporducotn were about half the length of those on the NOS one.

What did you do with the resistor? I am confident in the low reading on mine, just trying to get the full sweep right.
AMO Newsletter Editor
Mopar_guy View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mopar_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/09/2017 at 8:40pm
The new Javelin level unit I bought (all stainless from eBag) the ohms range was 12 to 85 ohms instead of 12 to 60 ohms that the gauge is calibrated too. I shortened up the range of travel to fix that problem by bending the stop tab. Other than that I did not touch the resistance unit on the sending unit. I remember it still being off so I added some sort of resister into the line at the back of the cluster to calibrate it closer. The original sender wasn't even right so there's something with the cars wiring that's different. I have an electronic CVR as well. I put that in when I did all of this because I needed it to be right due to the amount of driving I do in it. You're just going to have to mess with it to get it right since the aftermarket stuff is not the best.

"Hemilina" My 1973, 5.7 Hemi swapped Javelin
Mopar_guy View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mopar_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/09/2017 at 8:45pm
Oh, and one other thing reading 304's post - I was putting a Javelin sending unit into a new Spectra AMC1 tank, which is deeper than a stock Javelin tank and I still had to shorten the arm 2 inches! I don't see how they would work in the shallower Javelin tank. 

"Hemilina" My 1973, 5.7 Hemi swapped Javelin
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/09/2017 at 8:58pm
Originally posted by Mopar_guy Mopar_guy wrote:

Oh, and one other thing reading 304's post - I was putting a Javelin sending unit into a new Spectra AMC1 tank, which is deeper than a stock Javelin tank and I still had to shorten the arm 2 inches! I don't see how they would work in the shallower Javelin tank. 

Well then, I guess it is a no brainer, new hornet wagon tank with the aforementioned new sender plus some tweaking, arm and all should be good to go. Not sure if the AMC1 tank is the same, but when going for 20 gallons, i assume one will be using some of that long arm.

I am tempted to mess with my sender to take notes and such for reference, just so I don't get set thinking everything is going to be as so easy. Since nobody has made the resistance 100% perfect.

I may not be a perfectionist, but dealing with not having a fuel gauge reading function as I am use to, just annoys me as if I am.
71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic