TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

72 Javelin Shocks

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72amcjav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 72 Javelin Shocks
    Posted: May/30/2017 at 11:33am
Hey everyone, embarrassed by all the squeaking and ratty looking rubber, I decided to go through the front end of my 72 Javelin and replace all of the bushings, ball joints, and tie rods. With a lot of help from the internet, including this forum, things went fairly smooth as I tore apart the driver side (thanks everyone). After I had everything but the wheel back together, I went to install the new shock, a KYB Excel-G Part No. 343156, and it was too short for the studs to reach the spring perch. I jacked up the suspension by the lower control arm to compress the spring enough to mount the shock and tightened all the hardware, but when I released the jack, the shock really didn't extend much more (maybe 1/16" - 1/8") and the control arms are not all the way down. With front end on jack stands, the coil spring and control arm assembly was being held back by the shock. I know this wasn't the case coming apart as nothing sprung when I unbolted the shock.

I'm not sure if this is a problem or if anybody has had a similar experience. The wheel is back on and the car is on the ground again but I'm hesitant to start the passenger side without knowing if its ok. Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Zack
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/30/2017 at 11:40am
Wrong shock. It is no good to operate a shock not designed for the suspension travel. If it will not allow the suspension to properly rest by its own weight, it will throw off your steering and may limit how your travel before hitting the bump stop. Plus it will load up your springs and make your suspension feel stiff and un compliant to your normal driving experience.

Gabriel, Edelbrock and a few others do make them for 70 on up Javelins and others.

You can search on Javelin shocks as there are a few threads on them and of recent as well.
71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
401MATCOUPE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 401MATCOUPE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/30/2017 at 12:27pm
The bump stop is for suspension compression NOT suspension extension.  There is no extension rubber stop on 1970 up cars, the next step from the spring release would be the upper control arm hitting the frame (metal on metal).  What you are seeing is normal, the last 70 AMX front suspension I assembled using NOS front shocks took a jack to push the shock high enough to get the upper rubber bushing / washer and nut to start.  Once the weight of the car is on the suspension everything returns to normal and the shock ahs plenty of travel.  If you would have disconnected the sway bar end links, you would have to jack the lower arm a lot more, it is under a lot of tension too.
Ross K. Peterson
68X,GoPac,343,AT,52A(1stCar)
68X,GoPac,390,4sp,52A
69X,GoPac,390,4sp,64A
70X,GoPac,390,4sp,87A,8
70X,GoPac,390,4sp,BBO,8
70 Jav SST,390,AT,BSO
74MatX,401,AT,Prototype
74MatX,401,AT
72amcjav View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72amcjav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/30/2017 at 1:40pm
Thanks for the quick responses. I checked a few different websites and they all list those KYB's as being the ones for the '72, not that they can't be wrong. I looked at the Gabriel Classic Shock Part No. 82126, which they also list and it shows an extended length of 14.250" as opposed to the 13.9" for the KYB. I don't think this would be enough to allow full travel. Looks like 401MATCOUPE had a similar experience so hopefully I'll be fine moving on to the passenger side soon. Thanks again for any input.
kirkwood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kirkwood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/30/2017 at 4:16pm
i put the gabriel shocks on my 71 Javelin this spring and had no issues with them, but did have the same issue Ross mentions with travel.
AMO Newsletter Editor
72amcjav View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72amcjav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/30/2017 at 8:38pm
Great, glad to hear this is normal. Thanks so much I can't wait to get the other side done.
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/30/2017 at 8:47pm
After reading carefully through, the replies seem to be about when somebody changes out shocks with the suspension completely lifted free from resting on ground.

I changed out mine with the suspension at rest with wheels on the ground. I'd do the bottom with a few threads in each nut and then do the top, then finish off the bottom nuts tight.

Never had to fiddle around with lifting or jacking. I do admit car ramps do make most maintenance work much easier in doing under the car stuff.

As for lengths of shocks, i assumed the shorter ones are for other makes with similar shocks, but some manufacturers now will combine AMC with others, unlike way back when length specific requirements were more or less done for AMC.

I was told long ago, even if you managed with proper suspension travel with a shorter or longer shock, the valving may not function as well as the proper sized shock.

Edited by 304-dude - May/30/2017 at 8:52pm
71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
72amcjav View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72amcjav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/03/2017 at 6:44pm
Well, I started the passenger side. Before I started disassembly, though, I tested the old shock still attached to the upper mount. With the car up on jack stands, even on the old ones, the studs don't stick through the holes of the spring perch. Guess I was mistaken and must have originally unbolted it either with weight on it or a 2x4 under the upper control arm. Thanks again for the help. Can't wait to get this side wrapped up so I can get an alignment and start driving the jav again!
JolleyGreenSST View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JolleyGreenSST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/11/2018 at 2:54am
Originally posted by 72amcjav 72amcjav wrote:

Well, I started the passenger side. Before I started disassembly, though, I tested the old shock still attached to the upper mount. With the car up on jack stands, even on the old ones, the studs don't stick through the holes of the spring perch. Guess I was mistaken and must have originally unbolted it either with weight on it or a 2x4 under the upper control arm. Thanks again for the help. Can't wait to get this side wrapped up so I can get an alignment and start driving the jav again!
Sorry to dig up a kinda old thread, but I think I'm anout to order these KYB GR2's for my 72 javelin and I wanted to know how you liked them and how was the ride and handling compared to stock?
Thanks.
"God is good all the time and all the time God is good!"
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic