TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote easydean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 727
    Posted: Jul/21/2017 at 4:10pm
Can I use a 727 on a 343?  Do I use the 343 flexplate?  Do I need to redrill convertor holes?  Thanks, Dean
bigbadgreen View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigbadgreen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/21/2017 at 4:33pm
Dean somebody used to make an adapter for the early flat flange style crank to the newer stepped style. Otherwise the crank would need machining or a newer style crank would need to be used.
typhooner View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote typhooner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/21/2017 at 4:49pm
Hi Dean. Bulltear makes the adapter for flat flange cranks to modern stepped crank tranny. $94.00
1969 Hurst SC/Rambler A Scheme
1969 Rebel Raider Electric Green    1962 IH/AMC SC/out
401harry View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 401harry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/21/2017 at 6:41pm
A recent thread addressed the same scenario but with a TH 400..IMO the only bolt in solution for a 727 on a early BW motor is a custom converter to mate the 2 as the 343 flexplate wont take a standard 727 TC due to the pilot hole in the crank. If you want to pull the crank and have it machined thats the other solution
WesternRed View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/21/2017 at 7:51pm
This is the bolt on adaptor kit, not sure if they are still available, but would use the later flex plate as well:

Custom convertor option, there are probably better ways to do this, this is just the way the one I inherited was done:

Or you can machine the crank as per these instructions:

Or finally, you can rebuild the engine using a later 360 crank and some carefully chosen pistons.

The Bulltear adaptor ring is to put a TH400 behind a later TF engine I believe.
WesternRed View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/22/2017 at 7:04pm
A pictures showing the difference between the early and late crank to complete the story:

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic