TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Competition > Drag Racing
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

front coil springs

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xspiriment Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: front coil springs
    Posted: Aug/09/2017 at 1:40pm
Have this question about the front coils (Spirit) to have a better reaction for weight transfer. Is there a spring that may work similar to the MOROSO trick springs. Seems I remember from many years ago that 6 cyl springs would work better than stock 8 cyl springs for weight transfer. Keeping with the stock suspension other than 90/10 shocks. Thanks,
spook72x View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spook72x Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/10/2017 at 12:16am
That's what I use on my Gremlin, just some sacked out 6cyl.springs and Comp Engenering 90/10s. They transfer good and get the nose down so as to not push so much air.
Pinballer View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pinballer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/11/2017 at 6:04pm
 My '79 Spirit NHRA Stocker uses the 4 cylinder springs from an '82 Spirit.

Just so others in this same situation are aware, the Moroso catalog says they have the drag coil springs for the front of the AMC Spirit cars--but they won't work as is. The diameter of the lower coil is way too big to fit in the holder on the A-arm. I'm not saying you can't make them work with some modification, but as far as running a Stock Eliminator car, it wasn't legal to weld anything to the A-arms to make them fit, so now I got a set here gathering dust.
NHRA T/SA '79 AMX
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/13/2017 at 8:31am
If unable to find a spring set to fit, without welding or cutting... I found you can swap a 73 and earlier Ford Mustang spring perch, by swapping the pivot pin out, to fit Mustang II springs. They have two free heights 11.5" and 13" and range from 300 lbs on up at speedway.

If a wee too low you can use prothane AMC front spring isolators and cut the original center raised locating surface to fit flush over the prothane to give about .75" added height.

Have not gone that route with springs, but I am using the 73 Mustang and earlier spring perch, with AMC pivot pin.

The only downside is you drop the suspension about 2 inches (may not work with header clearance) and need to realign your steering as you will have more negative camber.
71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
idrambler View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote idrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/18/2017 at 11:24am
I have been running 6 cly springs on my 74 Gremlin with 90/10 shocks for a while now...work good...
Jim....AMCRC
Treasure Valley AMC Club, Pres
69 AMX 401/727
74 GremlinX 401/727race only
73 Matador 2dr HT 360/727
xspiriment View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xspiriment Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/18/2017 at 1:36pm
Thanks for the feed back, I was sitting idle to see what others are using. As I mentioned I had read something long ago and I found the reference in the old American Performance Style book. I know that a lot of that info there is old technology so I wanted to know if there was any new tech stuff being used. I have a new set six cyl springs stashed away somewhere so I will use them if I find them. Thanks again, Paul
79redspiritgt View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79redspiritgt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/23/2018 at 6:26am
I was wondering what springs to use on my new build too
pwrslide View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pwrslide Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/23/2018 at 7:07am
Little gains to be made with front spring changes if running stock rubber bushings as that is the friction point. You can also disconnect the sway bar or use poly on that as well for better reaction transfer. Best gains will be out back using Cal Trac split mono leafs and bars in the back with correct shocks. On my 80 AMX 360 drag car I have poly everything in front with cut coils and the CT setup (2" drop)out back on a Strange centered 9" Versailles axle and it sits low and leaves hard on drag radials. Also put the battery in back as well
ADAM12MATADOR View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ADAM12MATADOR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/23/2018 at 7:42am
On a 401 Hornet wagon that i raced back in the '80's i used 6 cylinder springs with a coil cut out. On my current 401 Gremlin project am using 6 cylinder springs  with 90/10 front shocks.
Ken_Parkman View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken_Parkman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/24/2018 at 9:03am
That was one of the tuning tools I used on the Hornet race car back in the day. I think I had 5 different sets of front springs in there. The final choice was 4 cyl springs (carefully) heated to lower the ride height to where I wanted. With a 10" tire it would hook in a mudslide to 1.42 60' times, deadly consistent. That thing would hook on a smoking hot slippery day when the big tire cars spun.

The issue I did fight was the suspension rebounding too harshly about 15-20' out where it would spin. The solution was more suspension travel and thoroughly worn out stock shocks (50-50) on the front and stiff 50-50 shocks on the back. You do not want to "jar" the suspension.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic