TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Electrical - non engine
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

one wire alternator

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/22/2017 at 10:27pm
Originally posted by mc5fan1968 mc5fan1968 wrote:

I would remove the alternator, service the bearings, brushes and slip rings and then disconnect and test all the diodes. Motorolas are easy to service and parts are still easily available.

He's got a modified Delco - with a "one-wire" regulator in it. Those don't match any specs or standards from GM as the regulator is non-standard. It's a third-party regulator. He isn't using a Motorola.
It's a customized GM.

He's not looking to get into taking it all apart and testing that way - and frankly if it was in my shop, that's not the first thing I'd do either. You spend a lot of time unnecessarily when a scope or a few other tests I use would tell you without even opening it up. That way you can go right to the part that is the problem. 

Not all parts for Motorola can be had easily - trust me, not all. I have sources for many but not all, and some of those replacement parts are enough different in appearance or quality...........there are a few I won't even use on customer units.

Auto electric - alternators, wipers, starters, complete rewiring jobs, what I do - and have done for decades, so have done more work on 'em and more research than most.

Just some of the parts you can't get - You can't buy original style frames, and the new replacement pulleys are different (and you can't get the 2 5/8" pulleys as used on the Machine with 35 amp, only the more common larger pulleys)
This is one reason I got set up for, and began doing my own plating on these parts and why I buy parts lots when I can, and cores if I can find any worth having. 

You can do almost anything with the stock alternators, including integrating regulators, or using an on-board regulator, making them look decent for show and more......... 

The basics are all the same, it's the specifics that are different.

vinny View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/23/2017 at 4:53am
Pretty nice work Bill.

A little more complicated than the alternator I had on a 67 650 Triumph motorcycle that was supposed to drain off excess current through a Zenor diode. For a while I was losing charging capacity and it was barely enough to run the two points with individual coils and lights were out of the question. Turns out the primary chain had sawed through two of the three wires coming off the stator. Surprisingly it was still enough to run the ignition.
kalve View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kalve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/23/2017 at 5:30am
Can you still buy New Motorola alternators? Like to go with one of them if I can.
1964 T bird Landau

2000 Mercedes Benz CLK 430 convertible

1970 AMC Rebel SST Wagon
mc5fan1968 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mc5fan1968 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/16/2019 at 1:34am
Most of these old Motorolas have never been serviced. It is something I do very soon after acquiring an AMC. It is part of the "fun" of getting another old AMC, at least for me. Diodes, diode trios and brushes are readily available via the internet sources.

My Rebel Machine has one of those Delco 1 wire pieces. It will be restored to the correct equipment as soon as is possible. I am working in another state right now and do not have much time in my home state, where the cars are.

Edited by mc5fan1968 - Dec/16/2019 at 1:37am
mc5fan@msn.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456
  Share Topic