TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Competition > Drag Racing
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

OEM 401 Connecting Rod Weight

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PROSTOCKTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: OEM 401 Connecting Rod Weight
    Posted: Dec/10/2017 at 5:07pm
Just curious what a factory stock OEM 401 connecting rod weighs in grams. Just spent several hours on the web looking for the answer and never found it, so I figure there has to be another gearhead on here that has a scale and a rod laying around. If you have both and wouldn't mind providing an answer I would greatly appreciate the answer.

Thanks,
Tom

Edited by PROSTOCKTOM - Aug/14/2020 at 1:44pm
Molnar Technologies Full Service Dealer - Crankshafts & Connecting Rods

1969 AMC Rambler Rouge Race Car
1974 AMC Hornet Hatchback, Wally Booth Outlaw Nostalgic Pro Stock Race Car Project
PROSTOCKTOM View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PROSTOCKTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/16/2017 at 9:26pm
Surely someone has to know what a stock 401 rod weighs. Trying to compare them to a set of 627 gram Molnar rods.

Thanks,
Tom

585eric View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 585eric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/16/2017 at 11:22pm
Stock rod with stock bolts 794grams.
dbltrbl View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dbltrbl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/17/2017 at 12:47pm
We weighted set of 8 and they were between 796-808grams
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PROSTOCKTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/17/2017 at 8:08pm
I really appreciate the two replies. That much of a difference with a shorter piston will go along way on getting the engine to neutral balance.

Thanks,
Tom
Lyle View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/18/2017 at 7:50am
Don't forget the wrist pins. They can vary considerably between years (71 being the heaviest), up to 75 grams with wall thickness from 1/8" to almost 3/16".
I have three factory sets, all different part numbers on the rods and two different wrist pins.
The combination set in my motor is 765 grams. Each component balanced individually and then as an assembly.
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PROSTOCKTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/18/2017 at 10:49pm
I bought the Molnar Stroker Rods. 6" long, 2" journal, .927" pin, so sky's  the limit on wrist pin choices when I order the pistons. This set of rods weighs 621 grams, so between that, light pins, and lighter pistons I am hoping no need for Mallory to neutral balance.

Tom

Edited by PROSTOCKTOM - Aug/14/2020 at 1:50pm
Molnar Technologies Full Service Dealer - Crankshafts & Connecting Rods

1969 AMC Rambler Rouge Race Car
1974 AMC Hornet Hatchback, Wally Booth Outlaw Nostalgic Pro Stock Race Car Project
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic