TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Greg’s ‘70 AMX

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Someassemblyrqd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/10/2018 at 11:48am
The tent worked well. Cleanup was contained, the blue tarp on the ground made it easier to gather the media. I reused some of the media by straining out paint debre. But most of the media was placed into a bag and tossed.

The tent (10x10) is a sport tent you’d see at a soccer game. The transparent plastic is painters floor cover. And the hold in place, I usesd pipe insulation tubing.

Setup, tear down and reuse was very simple.
Greg E.
Someassemblyrqd View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Someassemblyrqd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/11/2018 at 9:34pm
The motor and tranny were original to the car. The transmission had been rebuilt by the previous owner but never saw any road miles.

The rotating assembly was sent to DGMachine in Auburn. Dale was very knowledgeable with the AMC motor. After cleanup, .040 over on the cylinders and the addition of an Extreme Energy Comp Cam (218@ .493 In, 224@ .500 Ex, I got it back after a year (Dale's race clients come first, I guess ), installed the topside bling.

The headers were from Control Freaks, Performer intake, topped off with a Holly 750 electric choke. The power source for the choke with come thru a Jeep 3-prong oil pressure sending unit. No oil pressure, no electrical source.   The headers fit exceptionally well, no interference.

Edited by Someassemblyrqd - Jan/11/2018 at 9:51pm
Greg E.
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Someassemblyrqd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/11/2018 at 9:47pm
I had plans of building my own engine test stand. However, Sam Walton from WalMart came-a-knock'n with an inexpensive yet very capable piece of hardware. Same product was is offered at Northern and other internet retailers.

The engine was to sit 180 degrees in the stand, but that's not what I envisioned or how I wanted to use it.

I had an old crossmember for the engine, so I integrated it into the frame, used my own temp and oil pressure gauge and wired the ignition.

After the Brad Penn 30w oil was added, it was time for 30 minutes of 'prime time'. What a beautiful sight, both on the gauge and from the lifter/rockers!!
Greg E.
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Someassemblyrqd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/11/2018 at 10:23pm
I decided to go with a mini starter. The upgrade in additional torque for cranking power and the lighter weight of the unit convinced me it was the right choice.

However, fitment became a major PITA. Turned the face plate 90 degree, 180 degrees, considered grinding, and on and on. Ultimately I called the seller, returned the starter and changed out the face plate............a perfect fit.

I think this will work - it's a walk-a-round prior to first start.

https://www.facebook.com/greg.engberg.9/videos/350594468749339/

Edited by Someassemblyrqd - Jan/11/2018 at 11:48pm
Greg E.
pacerman View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pacerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/11/2018 at 11:11pm
Who made the mini starter?  Joe
Happiness is making something out of nothing.
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Someassemblyrqd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/12/2018 at 12:00am
Joe - got it from a place in Texas. Alterstart. Initially, I found them while perusing EBay items.
Greg E.
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Someassemblyrqd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/28/2018 at 6:59pm
After one last check/recheck I was ready for the initial start. Fueled, battery up to charge, it was time......

Now, remember all the Forum posts about slow engine turnover, make sure you have good grounds?   Well I experienced this 100%!   The ground 'wire' was not strong enough to handle the current.   It subsequently turned to smoke and carbon.   You can see the red glow and smoke rise from the middle of the engine oil pan.

https://www.facebook.com/greg.engberg.9/videos/356985851443534/
Greg E.
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Someassemblyrqd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/28/2018 at 7:11pm
Second time around is a charm, right?   Well, a fuel leak from the carb fitting saturated the top of the intake manifold, cutting short the break-in.

https://www.facebook.com/greg.engberg.9/videos/356982448110541/

After a quick trip of the auto parts store for 3" of fuel line including 2 clamps we were back in business. Success!!!

https://www.facebook.com/greg.engberg.9/videos/356987514776701/

Running 16 degrees initial with 36 degrees total, mechanical advance only. Running a bit rich with the 750 Holley but will work this bug out after install in the car.

Have approximately 6 hours of run-time on the engine. Initial oil change and inspection of the oil filter confirms a good break-in.

Question: how do I make the links above functional vs cut-n-paste?

Thanks

Edited by Someassemblyrqd - Jan/28/2018 at 9:29pm
Greg E.
Mopar_guy View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mopar_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/28/2018 at 7:29pm

"Hemilina" My 1973, 5.7 Hemi swapped Javelin
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic