TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Dexron VI for BW Trans

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gtoman_us Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/19/2018 at 6:36pm
Interesting "my" trans guy who just retired at 82 years old and rebuilt my '64 in 1980 and again in 2015, told me DEXIII no F. He cut his teeth in his dads shop which started in 1930 something. So an AT guy for his whole life. I think he was an early member or founder of the Automatic Transmission Rebuilders Association. Knows his stuff.

He was still doing 12-15 units a month. He had a fabulous inventory of oddities. My BW need the input shaft bushing for the torque tube. He grunged around in the "parts"room Then emerged with a bushing. Cross referenced the part number and said yep got it.

So I will go with what Bill Chase recommends. Glad fluid choices are working out for everyone.
Moderator - Emeritus

Used to collect trophies, now I collect gas receipts and put on miles

1964 Rambler Ambassador Cross Country Wagon
1965 GTO
1931 Model A original survivor
"Flat Roofs are Cool"
purple72Gremlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/20/2018 at 3:42pm
Originally posted by gtoman_us gtoman_us wrote:

Interesting "my" trans guy who just retired at 82 years old and rebuilt my '64 in 1980 and again in 2015, told me DEXIII no F. He cut his teeth in his dads shop which started in 1930 something. So an AT guy for his whole life. I think he was an early member or founder of the Automatic Transmission Rebuilders Association. Knows his stuff.

He was still doing 12-15 units a month. He had a fabulous inventory of oddities. My BW need the input shaft bushing for the torque tube. He grunged around in the "parts"room Then emerged with a bushing. Cross referenced the part number and said yep got it.

So I will go with what Bill Chase recommends. Glad fluid choices are working out for everyone.
I worked in a transmission shop for 15+ Years. And he started rebuilding transmissions in 1951. He was still rebuilding when he was 80. He rebuilt BWs, the cast iron Ford's, and the old 4 spd Hydramatics. And he said type F only in Ford tranmissions.<<>But if a Ford transmission got rebuilt with later clutch materials, then Dextron. And I can't tell you how many Ford transmissions I had to pull out because of type F in a rebuilt Ford transmission would shed the linings off the clutches. And I've seen type F do that to other transmissions.and Trans go will tell you not to run type F with their shift kits.....And if you read the bottle of a B&M trickshift fluid...it's overpriced type F. So, in my case Dextron in my old transmissions. And what ever my cars and trucks use from the factory. I will not use type F. Unless it's an old Ford that hasn't been rebuilt. And I just remembered. My first car had a BW T35. I ran that car for almost 5 years, and I beat it. Neutral drops, brake torquing it, never dies, and it had dextron its whole life.

Edited by purple72Gremlin - Mar/25/2018 at 6:09pm
Bruce Clarkson View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce Clarkson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/20/2018 at 7:09pm
Not an expert but I'll pass along my limited experience. I have put a bunch of miles on a BW11 both before and after a rebuild. I finally had a problem with the original but only after tons of use. I'm many miles into the rebuild. In fact, I'm in Savannah on a road trip to Florida from Boston. I've been running the Merc/Dex stuff since I've had the vehicle. Also, that was what I understood as direction from my trans guy.

BTW, I use the vehicle as a stock cruiser (often over long distances) and not in a performance situation.

"Your milage may vary"

Bruce Clarkson
Bruce Clarkson
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/20/2018 at 11:14pm
i think the lesson to take away is that good quality fluid of any of these types will work.

1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

Ken Doyle View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken Doyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/21/2018 at 1:41pm
I've owned six BW 35 transmissions, always used Dextron, and got excellent service from all of them.  

The aluminum BW 35 came out in 1962 and Ford never used it.

The only cast-iron BW automatic I had was in a 1960 Rambler Six.  I used Dextron, never had a problem, and it shifted very nicely.

"Type A" was also spec'd by GM and Chrysler back then. 

Wikipedia, for what it's worth, says "Type-A/Suffix-A" was the predecessor of Dextron:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DEXRON
990V8 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 990V8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/25/2018 at 5:12pm
Dexron II in the M8 that's in my Ambo. Just been rebuilt, that's what the trans guy said to continue using.
Also in the BW66 that's in my 74 Land Rover.
Over here can still buy Dexron II.

Ivor
63 Canadian Ambo 990 V8 327
Lightweight V8 SIII
Shopping Trolley
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/25/2018 at 6:07pm
i had a transmission fluid write-up here - a sticky - a while back. Does it perhaps need to be updated with the CURRENT equiv since some fluids are getting harder to get and new ones keep getting introduced??
As far as AMCs, it's easy- Type F was for early Ford - Type A, then Dexron, for anything AMC.
AMC never used a ford automatic. Ford and Borg Warner parted ways and Ford did their own thing..... 
And yes, I have PERSONALLY rebuilt transmissions with clutches and bands ruined when Type F was used in them. 
Anyone who actually knows the HISTORY and science and reasoning would know the differences - and sometimes even "old-timers" and "transmission guys" can recommend things........... that the factory would have a cow over. The Borg Warner guys are likely thinking back to when they and Ford worked together - and consider them to be the same. 
Sorry, I've seen too much damage done by "rebuilders" and other "experts". That's how I got my reputation - fixing what others screwed up - and not having any come-backs myself.

Edited by billd - Mar/25/2018 at 6:11pm
purple72Gremlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/25/2018 at 6:20pm
Originally posted by billd billd wrote:

i had a transmission fluid write-up here - a sticky - a while back. Does it perhaps need to be updated with the CURRENT equiv since some fluids are getting harder to get and new ones keep getting introduced??
As far as AMCs, it's easy- Type F was for early Ford - Type A, then Dexron, for anything AMC.
AMC never used a ford automatic. Ford and Borg Warner parted ways and Ford did their own thing..... 

And yes, I have PERSONALLY rebuilt transmissions with clutches and bands ruined when Type F was used in them. 
Anyone who actually knows the HISTORY and science and reasoning would know the differences - and sometimes even "old-timers" and "transmission guys" can recommend things........... that the factory would have a cow over. The Borg Warner guys are likely thinking back to when they and Ford worked together - and consider them to be the same. 
Sorry, I've seen too much damage done by "rebuilders" and other "experts". That's how I got my reputation - fixing what others screwed up - and not having any come-backs myself.
I did not rebuild them. Although I've been around enough of them that I could. But I agree wholeheartedly with what you said here. Been there seen that and done that. And I've tried telling people that the cast iron Ford is somewhat similar to the BW, But they are not the same.
sweatlock View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweatlock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/01/2018 at 2:02pm
My only concern with using Dexron VI is that it's fully synthetic, not the specific 'type'. Modern synthetics and old machines don't always play well together.

As far as Dexron III goes, it's still made by GM and it's available in the USA. I buy it off Amazon and use it in my '92 700R4 (4L60) automatic trans.

AC Delco p/n 10-9240

From Amazon:

"Description
ACDelco ATF Type III (H) is a premium quality automatic transmission fluid for use in a variety of passenger cars and light trucks. It is formulated with select base oils and additives to meet the heavy demands placed on automatic transmissions, including the generation of electronically controlled transmissions. ACDelco ATF Type III (H) is recommended for the following uses: when DEXRON-III(H), DEXRON-III(G), DEXRON-II(E), DEXRON-II, or Type A Fluids are required, in all automatic transmissions built by GM that do not require DEXRON-VI, and can also be used in some hydraulic and compressor systems where excellent low temperature flow ability is required."

Edited by sweatlock - Apr/01/2018 at 2:13pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic