TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

290 Intake

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White70JavelinSST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/23/2018 at 11:40am
I'm guessing you mean the air filter housing that rests on top of the carburetor.
The housing won't come close to the intake, but of course you're going to want to make sure the hold-down rod doesn't come in contact with the bottom of the hood when you close it because the intake is a tad bit taller than the factory intake.
Put a wad of modelers clay on top of the housing and the nut holding the housing to the carburetor.
Slowly lower the hood, watch underneath making sure you determine the hood isn't crushing all the way through the clay. Don't shut the hood all the way until you know it won't contact the end of the hold down rod.  What ever thickness of clay that hasn't been squashed is the clearance.
70 Javelin SST, second owner, purchased 1972
PHAT69AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PHAT69AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/23/2018 at 12:28pm
Yes, agree, Modelers Clay is the way to find out, I would leave the Air Cleaner Stud completely out of the carburetor to do the test, just sit the Air Cleaner Assembly and Lid on top of the Carb, and put a few Cone shaped pieces of Clay on Top of the Air Cleaner Lid, front edge, back edge, and center, then as mentioned, carefully lower the Hood then check the Clay Cones to see what is there.
Smoke245 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smoke245 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/23/2018 at 1:36pm
I'm to assume many Javelin owners run the Edel 7530, what do they all do if it is too tall, and please do not tell me to cut a hole in my hood! 
Bill Lang
Smoke245 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smoke245 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/24/2018 at 8:35am
I have one more question on the intake, I am ordering the Edelbrock 7530, do I need a mounting plate to mount the carburetor to the intake?  I as this because my 2 barrel intake had a plate mounting the Edel 1406 carb to it, but I think this was because it was a 4 barrel carb they had stuck on a 2 barrel intake. 
Bill Lang
Midnight Rambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Midnight Rambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/24/2018 at 12:03pm
I would use a phenolic spacer if your gas is E10.

'66 American 440 Convertible 290/M-40/AMC 20 3.15/PS/PB
'04 Jeep Wrangler X Rocky Mountain Edition 4.0 5sp
Smoke245 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smoke245 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/24/2018 at 12:31pm
Midnight Rambler, I use only non ethanol gas in the Javelin 
Bill Lang
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Midnight Rambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/24/2018 at 1:29pm
Originally posted by Smoke245 Smoke245 wrote:

Midnight Rambler, I use only non ethanol gas in the Javelin 

You are a lucky guy.  I would have to either buy race fuel, or take a gas caddy to a fuel dock that sells "recreational grade" marine gas (no ethanol). 

Smoke245 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smoke245 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/24/2018 at 1:54pm
Midnight Rambler, does this mean I do not need the phenolic spacer then since I am able to run non ethanol? 
Bill Lang
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Midnight Rambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/24/2018 at 6:32pm
I need one - aftermarket manifold, aftermarket carb, E10 gas.  I couldn't tell if you will but that or an insulated gasket doesn't hurt unless it creates a clearance issue with the hood.

farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/26/2018 at 5:28am
The spacer is usually recommended as it keeps the carb a little cooler. The PCV valve may connect to a nipple on the spacer also. Non-ethanol or E-10 shouldn't matter. Is the theory that E-10 burns a little hotter??
Frank Swygert
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
  Share Topic