TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

What esle do I need to install this cam?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jl2556 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What esle do I need to install this cam?
    Posted: Jun/20/2018 at 9:09am
Got a 69 amx with a 290. Going with a summit 8600 cam (w/sealed power lifters). Got a few questions. The high side of the lift is .493. I know the stk rocker studs are good to .500 lift. Being that close to the limit, I want to upgrade to some arp rocker studs. Does anyone know the part #? Their site only lists sizes, not by make /model. Any recommendations on a valve spring that's not overkill? I can't find any info that says how to calculate your valve spring lb requirement based off lift. I see manufactures say "good UP TO .xxx lift". Also, do I have to upgrade the retainers and locks? Was told to upgrade pushrods as well. Oh, I'm not buying a comp cam kit to make this easier ;) Was told to do that also....
WesternRed View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/20/2018 at 6:17pm
These are the studs I used:

You also will need polylocks to make your valvetrain adjustable:

I'd have a look at the parts listing in the complete kit and then order the individual parts that you need. The comp retainers are a little bit shorter than stock, so give a little moreclearance to the valve stem seal/guide as well. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic