TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Timing Curve for 72 Jeep

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FSJunkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/14/2018 at 12:12am
Originally posted by JonCJ6 JonCJ6 wrote:

Thanks for all the help! The underside of the cam piece is stamped 730 CCW and the center is stamped 221W. The plastic bushing is there. I’m just waiting on some points to get it back together and give it a try.
That is correct for your engine and year. The 730 means 30 degrees maximum advance. Original distributor serial number is 1112111. 

I highly recommend Napa Echlin heavy duty points, part number CS786. They last a very long time. I clean them every 6000 miles, file them every 12,000 miles, and I have yet to wear out a set. The Echlin condensers are nice too but condensers don't go bad that often. 
1955 Packard
1966 Marlin
1972 Wagoneer
1973 Ambassador
1977 Hornet
1982 Concord D/L
1984 Eagle Limited
JonCJ6 View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonCJ6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/14/2018 at 12:47pm
I ended up finding some new old stock Jeep points & condenser so I’m going to try those. If they don’t work out I’ll do the NAPA ones.
PHAT69AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PHAT69AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/14/2018 at 12:51pm
Agree, the stock 5 deg initial & 35 total should be pretty good.
Thanks for looking and posting some of the #'s on the 1971 #1112111 Distributor.
Will add them to the Chart eventually.
If the Mr Gasket Delco Re-Curve Kits are still available, they had a BRASS Sleeve
to replace the plastic sleeve and it was slightly larger OD.
Going way back in memory, there were 2 Mr. Gasket Kits, and the Weights were different shapes
and only one shape worked right in my AMC Delco Distributor.

ccowx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccowx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/14/2018 at 12:59pm
Mr. Gasket 927G was the set that worked in my AMC-Delco distributor. I think the other was pre-1967 or something like that. And yes, the brass sleeve is nice to have. 

Generally speaking, the weights seem to be a waste of time for most of us. All they do is to lower the required rpms for full advance about another 400 rpms or so. Unless you are in some very hairy situation where the lightest springs (FYI they give all in around 1400 rpms if memory serves!) are still not enough, I don't see any real use for them.

Chris 
JonCJ6 View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote JonCJ6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/17/2018 at 8:04pm
I took the distributor all apart and cleaned everything up, polished the points cam with a dremel buffer and some rouge and re-assembled everything with new points & condenser. It’s timed at about 6-7 degrees btdc and seems to be running pretty good. I haven’t road tested it yet, maybe tomorrow. Thanks for all of your help, it was a great learning experience tearing into the distributor and really not that difficult. I’m glad I didn’t swap to electronic ignition like I was considering.
FSJunkie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FSJunkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/18/2018 at 12:27am
You might want to rebuild the whole distributor. The old lubricants inside dry out and cause increased wear to the shaft and bushings. Wear in those components causes the dwell and timing to become erratic and that gives you all kinds of trouble. Generally if you can feel lateral slack in the distributor shaft you know it is shot. Cleaning and relubricating everything greatly prolongs their life. Rebushing can be done if needed. Eckler's Corvette has bushings for the Delco-Remy distributor. 

1955 Packard
1966 Marlin
1972 Wagoneer
1973 Ambassador
1977 Hornet
1982 Concord D/L
1984 Eagle Limited
JonCJ6 View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonCJ6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/18/2018 at 4:33am
Yes, I pulled the shaft and cleaned everything. I couldn’t feel any movement in the bushings so i lubed everything and put it back together. That great to know a source of bushings. My brother in law has a good timing light with a dwell meter so I will check that soon as well as plot the timing curve.
JonCJ6 View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonCJ6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/22/2018 at 8:26pm
I just wanted to post a follow up. I have been driving the Jeep over the past few days and it seems to be running well. It has a lot more power, it climbs hills in high gear with no problem. The power delivery is smooth and low rpm off-road driving is much more enjoyable. It is also is running about 5-10 degrees cooler (205-210)
PHAT69AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PHAT69AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/23/2018 at 12:34pm
Thanks for posting the results, reckon the top bushing grease well was packed with new grease?, glad to hear it's running good.  Remember I was surprised when I first discovered / learned there was a Distributor Upper Bushing Grease Well because I thought it was all splashed or wicked oiled from motor oil.

edit: Ah, ok, this stuff... # 1960954 Delco Remy Gear And Shaft Lubricant, it is colored Red in the jar...

Edited by PHAT69AMX - Jul/23/2018 at 1:48pm
JonCJ6 View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonCJ6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/23/2018 at 1:16pm
Yes, I sourced a nos supply of the original Delco grease on the auction site. Pricey but should be a lifetime supply as long as the kids don’t grease their bike chains with it!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic