TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

blank carter carb tag on 69 390

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pacerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: blank carter carb tag on 69 390
    Posted: Jul/16/2018 at 9:39pm
I have a May 1969 build 390 sitting in the garage.  I have had it for years and am considering putting it in my 69 AMX as a temporary measure because it might be simple to clean it up and regasket it etc.  The heads are still on the engine so I really haven't checked for signs of a past rebuild, but it does have an original appearing carter 4-bbl carb.  The carb has a blank aluminum tag on it (carter tricorner tag) which is absolutely blank.   The tag is aluminum colored, not any anodized hue.  Did Carter sometimes make the distinction between carbs merely by the color of the tag?  Or could this carb have been rebuilt and perhaps the rebuilder expected someone down the line to add the numbers?  Over the couter speed part?  What?   Thanks for any info you can offer.

Joe
Happiness is making something out of nothing.
PHAT69AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PHAT69AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/16/2018 at 10:56pm
Interesting question... here is a picture of a spare 4663S Carter Carb I had, it has a Blank BLUE Tag...
My '69 343 4V AMX was very Stock when I got it, but... was young, rebuilt that carb maybe '85-6...
failed to take notes or pictures of that original carb, but got this spare much later and did take pics...
Non-conclusive, BUT do have pics of a believed untouched Carter Carb with a Blank Blue Tag...
It's a H8 4663S and it was from a 1969 343 4V Automatic, 8th Month, August, 1968 (early '69 Model Car).
Do you know if your Carbs stamped Number and if for Auto or Manual Trans?
Yet another Chart to compile, Carter Carbs and Tag Colors... Wacko

Ram Air Rick View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ram Air Rick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/17/2018 at 4:56am
Originally posted by pacerman pacerman wrote:

I have a May 1969 build 390 sitting in the garage.  I have had it for years and am considering putting it in my 69 AMX as a temporary measure because it might be simple to clean it up and regasket it etc.  The heads are still on the engine so I really haven't checked for signs of a past rebuild, but it does have an original appearing carter 4-bbl carb.  The carb has a blank aluminum tag on it (carter tricorner tag) which is absolutely blank.   The tag is aluminum colored, not any anodized hue.  Did Carter sometimes make the distinction between carbs merely by the color of the tag?  Or could this carb have been rebuilt and perhaps the rebuilder expected someone down the line to add the numbers?  Over the couter speed part?  What?   Thanks for any info you can offer.

Joe

Joe,

Carter AFB's for American Motors was identified via a stamped number, on the frontal passenger side flange, as Phat illustrates in his picture. AM AFB's never had any stamping s on the tag itself. 

I started a thread which I'll try to find later to post here. What I've found is that by year and sometimes overlapping, assembly line stock AM Carter AFB's had a colored tag to identify them. That ID was by engine size and transmission type mostly. I suspect the tag coloring was more for assembly line quick ID, as the motors were being assembled prior to installation in the car (on the line).

My finding have been consistent, with what I believe the only variable being as mis-tagged carbs..

An example of my findings is that the 68 (4583 s) and 69 (4664 s) 390 AFB for manual transmission (4 speed) carbs., have a green tag. In the as installed condition, I've found that the tags are installed on the driver side rear of the carb. .

I have been collecting data and will add to my online spreadsheet here soon.

Rich C.
Ram Air Rick View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ram Air Rick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/17/2018 at 5:04am
PHAT69AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PHAT69AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/17/2018 at 12:49pm
Thanks, great job on the charts and compiled Carter Carburetor info in that other thread...
Some of that info would make a good sticky...
pacerman View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pacerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/17/2018 at 1:12pm
My carb is a 4665S.  Picture with the tag is attached.  I cannot remember if I reported this tag color when the earlier referenced data was being prepared.   Anyway it is a "silver" tag.  No trace of any other anodized color on the tag.

Happiness is making something out of nothing.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic