TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

early American -- engine thrust bushing!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/06/2018 at 5:42am
The stock radiator always cooled fine for me. I don't think the L-head had a bigger radiator than the OHV, I'm pretty sure they are the same, but I did have a radiator that came from an L-head car (had been recored for an earlier car I had, swapped the old original out), and it was a pretty new one (recored again after an accident holed it).
Frank Swygert
ereeves77 View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ereeves77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/22/2018 at 7:27pm
My 63 Classic 770 with a 287 has Engine Thrust Bracket Assemblies on both side of the automatic transmission. It's on page 2 of the technical service manual. I cannot find anything to replace the bushings although I did find a listing for Transmission Crossmember Side Mount which is a part of the assembly. I am looking for a substitute for the bushing in the arm/rod part.
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/23/2018 at 5:45am
The bushing in the thrust arms is very thin and hard. I haven't had any issues with just leaving them alone. The rubber side mounts are a different story!
Frank Swygert
ereeves77 View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ereeves77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/23/2018 at 8:03am
Thanks, mine are brittle and failing so I am looking for a solution. 
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/23/2018 at 11:33pm
well i added a thrust rod on my 195.6 OHV in '61 american, i made a bracket that bolts to the passenger side studs that accepts a heim, and two ears to accept a heim joint on the rear enging crossmember. with no rubber isolators i assumed i'd be getting a lot of noise and vibration -- but there's none at all!

thinking about it, i realized that nothing in an internal combustion engine generates any motion fore and aft. nothing at all! there's certainly a longitudinal "S" shaped oscillation but that's tiny, and again, none of it's longitudinal.

i did it to save my crappy motor mounts. i drive this thing hard, and tore all my mounts out. next i'm going to tie it down for engine torque (all 200 ft lbs). again for weak mounts, not due to terrifying power (i wish :-)

1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

Hutch1969 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hutch1969 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/04/2019 at 10:35am
Hello I was reading up on your post on the engine/ transmission thrust rods with on ur 287, did you happen to come up with a solution for the rubber bushings? Mine are also worn out and looking for a solution!  Thanks , Matt
ereeves77 View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ereeves77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/04/2019 at 12:49pm
I found some shock bushings. I pressed in one to see how it looks. Seems like it'll be good after I install them. I found two different ones and have only tried one so far. I haven't had the time to actually put them in the car to see how they work. It is in another location and time/weather hasn't been good for me. Let me try this link.   http://s81.photobucket.com/user/ervsuzrv/slideshow/63%20Rambler - http://s81.photobucket.com/user/ervsuzrv/slideshow/63%20Rambler

Edited by ereeves77 - Apr/04/2019 at 6:57pm
Hutch1969 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Hutch1969 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/05/2019 at 6:06am
I’m sorry I just figured out that you replied to my question yesterday! Thank you I will try the same thing. Thanks, Matt
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/06/2019 at 10:49pm
hey, a minor note on the thrust rod i added last august, after driving on it for 7 months: it transmits ZERO (0) noise or vibration to the chassis, even though mine is simply steel heim joints.

at first i was puzzled by that, until i realized that there is no mechanism in the engine (or really, any conventional engine) that moves fore-aft! nothing. up, down, side to side and roundy-round, but no fore and aft. all vibration and oscillation in otto cycle engines is in that one plane! (some complex motion up where the long six cyl crankshaft generates longitudinal waves, but thats weird an small -- and still not longitudinal).

1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
  Share Topic