TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Competition > Autocross, circle track
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

T/A Racing

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/12/2019 at 9:22pm
Originally posted by CHAR CHAR wrote:

Other than the rule book of the time, is there a collection of tech info/photos/how too's online or off on how to build one of these as a replica racer?  I bought a '72 Javelin SST to play with and keep me from thinking too hard about converting my '70 Boss 302 in a T/A car.  If I knew where one might show up at a show Id be up and take a million picts and measurements.

Talk to Wayne Davis, coloradoamx here on the forum.  He has a nearly perfect replica of the '71 Penske Javelin.  It was at the 2014 Kenosha homecoming.  It looked flawless to me in 2014, and he's been making it even more authentic as he goes. To my eyes it looks like Roger Penske himself prepped it. I think he's even had the engine built as close to the Traco original as possible.

Check this thread out:

Edited by CamJam - Dec/12/2019 at 9:25pm
'73 Javelin 360 (current project)
'72 Baja Bronze Javelin SST
'69 Big Bad Orange AMX (2018 Teague Heritage Award) SOLD

Javelin_GT View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Javelin_GT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/12/2019 at 9:24pm
I read a story with the Penske Camaro's where they weighed the same car twice by switching the numbers.  So one car was legal and the other was not.  They just sent the legal car to inspection two times with each set numbers.  Not sure how true that is but that's the story.
Steve_P View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve_P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/16/2019 at 8:10am
Originally posted by Javelin_GT Javelin_GT wrote:

I read a story with the Penske Camaro's where they weighed the same car twice by switching the numbers.  So one car was legal and the other was not.  They just sent the legal car to inspection two times with each set numbers.  Not sure how true that is but that's the story.

That's mentioned in The Unfair Advantage; IIRC, the cars were legal weight even if acid dipped. Per Donohue, they did this because with the shell lighter they could add weight to the rear of the car for better balance. But they still met the required minimum weight.
I need to read it again as it's been years.
White70JavelinSST View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White70JavelinSST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/16/2019 at 8:48am
The other reason the dipped sheetmetal parts, especially the roof, was to get the center of gravity lower.
70 Javelin SST, second owner, purchased 1972
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
  Share Topic