TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Tranny problem

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/29/2018 at 9:11am
This problem has come up before with some complaining of too much oil in the tail housing and coming out the rear seal (and maybe breather?). I don't know what the cause could be, maybe overfill that has already been suggested? There is as I recall a way, by means of about a  5/16" or 3/8" hole, for oil to transfer between the main case and the tail housing. 
Amcwrencher View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Amcwrencher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/29/2018 at 12:58pm
Nothing changed for the first occurrence car driven rather regularly I had thought about the possibility of incorrect dipstick or to much fluid. However I would imagine if the level was to high it would cause the fluid to push out untill a reasonable level was obtained. In its current condition it will continue to loose fluid untill there is not enough to operate the transmision. Must be something mechanical bad seal or something I'll have to pull it when I get some time
Amcwrencher View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Amcwrencher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/29/2018 at 2:25pm
Finally was cool enough to lay on the driveway so did some investigating. The cooling tin was still in place, I removed it to look at the torque converter it does have a raised sheet metal disk dish thing on the rear so appears to be correct. Most of the mess is on the inside of that tin and down the passenger side of the car. Leads me to believe the fluid is coming out the bell housing and being flung out that air duct hole thing. My dip stick if anyone has one to compare is marked automatic on both ends, has a part # 3179193, says check oil at idle, is 25.5" overall and 22" from the cap to the tip. I'm going to power wash and demuck the bottom and see if that uncovers anymore clues. Thanks again all for the ideas

tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/29/2018 at 10:37pm
Originally posted by Amcwrencher Amcwrencher wrote:

However I would imagine if the level was to high it would cause the fluid to push out untill a reasonable level was obtained. In its current condition it will continue to loose fluid until there is not enough to operate the transmision.

AHA. yeah good observation. that is indeed the case. if the source whatever it is is dumping into the T.C./bellhousing area, that sounds like torque converter seal issues. 

bummer that it's not an over-filled issue.  i suppose you checked that the dipstick tube is seated properly. wiped clean it ought to stay dry, easy to check if not (grasping at straws).

in my experience that trans is somewhat sensitive to fluid level. nothing awful, but two pints down i could feel on first start of the day, a slightly increased delay the first time into gear. then perfectly fine.

but you are definitely right -- if it were merely crazy-over-full, it would puke til only somewhat overfull, etc, but it would work good then. sounds like a failed seal or something.

oh fun.

1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/30/2018 at 6:30am
If coming from the bell housing it's most likely the front seal. If the converter was rebuilt the neck that goes into the trans could be worn. Could just be a faulty seal. Check the bolts on the converter to make sure they are tight (converter to flexplate). Loose bolts can cause just enough movement for the seal to leak but still not cause vibrations because the converter has a "nose" that goes into a pilot bushing on the end of the crank

Another thought -- is the starter ring gear made onto the converter or flexplate? If it's on the converter there is a very small (about 10" diameter) flex plate. It's made of a hardened steel and will develop cracks over time (its been 52 years now!). If that's the case the converter can be flexing enough to cause the seal to leak (no vibration due to "nose" in crank).

To replace the seal the trans has to be dropped of course.

I was about to say the pilot bushing may be worn, but the converter doesn't spin in the bushing, the bushing is just used to align the converter with the crank. It shouldn't be worn. 
Frank Swygert
Ambassadorboy View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ambassadorboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/21/2018 at 4:44am
I have a 66 ambassador in Arizona I've been having the same problems since I had it rebuilt in 2016 had it gone thru 5 times can't figure it out. Leaks like the titanic after warming up from the front center seal but once it's cool it doesn't leak anymore
Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/21/2018 at 6:54am
Ambassadorboy,
That sounds like the wrong seal was installed, seal installed backwards or old stock seal that does not have flexibility any more.
One engine rebuild kit I bought came with seals that were from 1986. After 32 years on the shelf they were hard as a rock compared to the replacements I had to buy. 
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/24/2018 at 6:13am
Either the front seal or the neck of the torque converter is worn down. Get the number off the seal that's in it then go to a "bearings and drive" supplier. They can usually find a newly manufactured seal that is an equivalent of the old one. That's assuming the one you have is the correct seal. Someone may have the correct seal number.
Frank Swygert
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic