TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Carter WCD massive gas leak

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote al1630 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Carter WCD massive gas leak
    Posted: Sep/09/2018 at 6:44pm
I've been trying to get my '63 American to run, but one major problem preventing it from starting is that the Carter WCD Carb leaks all the gas out when I try to fill it up, so there's nothing to start. I don't have much experience with Carburetors, so I need some advice. Does it need to be rebuilt, or is there something else I can try? Thanks!
ramblinrev View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramblinrev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/09/2018 at 7:51pm
It certainly needs a rebuild. It may need to be replaced, if some of the castings, for example, are warped, or the throttle shaft bushings are worn.
Find someone who can help you look at it who knows something about carbs.
74 Hornet Hatchback X twins (since 1977)
62 American Convertible (still worth the $50 I spent in 1973!) AMCRC #513, AMO #384
70 AMX 360 4-speed (since 1981)
rocklandrambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocklandrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/10/2018 at 12:37am
Where is it leaking from?  What do you mean when you say you're "trying to fill it up"?
Past AMC's
1974 Hornet X (new)
1975 Gremlin X (new)
1964 Classic 660 Cross Country
1965 American 440-H
al1630 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote al1630 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/10/2018 at 10:51am
I can't post a picture right now, but I'll get some when I get home This Evening.
al1630 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote al1630 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/10/2018 at 8:58pm
Ok, I was able to get some pictures.

http://i.imgur.com/wQZIO9x.jpg
This picture shows where I poured the gas in.

http://i.imgur.com/jK8hbXA.jpg
This one shows where the leaks are. The one on the left is mostly hidden.
rocklandrambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocklandrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/11/2018 at 3:37am
How much gas are trying to pour in?  I think to fill the float bowls a small amount of gas should be put in the vent tube to the left in your first picture. As you're doing it, you're just flooding everything and gas is leaking from the throttle shaft.  From the look in the pictures that carb will have to be rebuilt.
Past AMC's
1974 Hornet X (new)
1975 Gremlin X (new)
1964 Classic 660 Cross Country
1965 American 440-H
vinny View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/11/2018 at 11:17am
Is fuel getting to the carb from the fuel pump? If not fix that first. Then if fuel leaks out it could be that the float is stuck to the bottom of the bowl.
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/11/2018 at 10:58pm
woah wait -- you dont pour gas into a carburetor in any normal operation. one might dribble a teaspoon or so to get a reluctant engine to start.

i think you need to back up to the top, and explain what it is you're trying to do. do you drive the car every day? or are you trying to start it after it sitting for an extended period?

OP needs to round out this story with some facts, or at least some facks :-)

1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

al1630 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote al1630 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/12/2018 at 9:59am
The car has been sitting for a long time, I poured a little gas in just to see if it would start, probably way too much. It's probably better to run a fuel line from a gas can to the fuel pump or directly to the Carburetor, right? I can't use the car's tank because it's filled with old gas 'sludge'.
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/12/2018 at 10:38pm
at the risk of sounding negative, there's not gonna be a short path to success for a car that's sat a long time. you can [probably get it started and running, but it will fail sooner and not very later. probably catastrophically. the carb looks corroded, it's a sure thing all the hoses are rotten and leaking, the carb probably dried out, has corrosion in it.

have you changed the oil? absolutely i would not run an engine on old oil. if it was out in the weather, assume the inside of the crankcase is rusted. inside out of the weather, still likely.

if it's sat outside for years, the chance of it running even for a month is close to zero. and it will be worse than when you started, seized or something.

1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic