TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Timing chain set advice

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Buzzman72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/20/2018 at 7:15pm
When the average timing BELT these days is good for 60,000 miles +, a 50,000 mile SPROCKET isn't a huge selling point where I'm concerned. My dad, a former Hudson dealer, told me that in the 1950's a Hudson Hornet with a 7X cam was good for 40,000 miles on a chain and gears. The technology surely must've improved more than 25% since 1951, one would think. I like to think that a well-maintained stock V8 without a nylon-toothed timing gear SHOULD be capable of 100,000 relatively trouble-free miles. Settling for 50k is akin to buying a Corvette with an Iron Duke under the hood: you CAN do better, and IMHO you should.
Buzzman72...void where prohibited, your mileage may vary, objects in mirror may be closer than they appear, and alcohol may intensify any side effects.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic