TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

My AW4 swap into a '72 Javelin

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Buzzman72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/22/2020 at 9:42am
What about the '87-'90 2WD Cherokees and Comanches as donors? Is there a particular problem with them...TCU, maybe?

Buzzman72...void where prohibited, your mileage may vary, objects in mirror may be closer than they appear, and alcohol may intensify any side effects.
CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/22/2020 at 11:31pm
I have no direct experience with anything but a '94, but from the link in my last post ("Everything you ever wanted to know about the AW4") I think they should be ok except that the OD ratio is .705 instead of .75.  That could be a plus or minus depending on your needs and axle ratio.  Also, I would get the TCU from the same year (just in case-- not sure if this is necessary or not) and also the slip yoke.  Make sure the donor vehicle has the 4.0L engine. There were a few 2.5L with the AW4 but they have a GM bolt pattern.

Edited by CamJam - Oct/23/2020 at 12:08am
'73 Javelin 360 (current project)
'72 Baja Bronze Javelin SST
'69 Big Bad Orange AMX (2018 Teague Heritage Award) SOLD

farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/24/2020 at 9:25am
I have an 87 AW4 with the 0.705 OD and 3.55 gears. I posted about my setup on the first page. My car cruises best at about 65 mph (best economy). That's due as much to wind resistance than anything else, which goes up exponentially over 65. I seem to recall the slip yoke being the same for all 2WD models, but there is a difference in the spline count for the output shaft of 4WD models into the transfer case.

Frank Swygert
2ndlevel View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2ndlevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/23/2022 at 10:43pm
You sure are a wealth of information.
Thank you for sharing that with me, now I'll know exactly what to do. Much appreciation sir.
CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/23/2022 at 11:28pm
Originally posted by 2ndlevel 2ndlevel wrote:

You sure are a wealth of information.
Thank you for sharing that with me, now I'll know exactly what to do. Much appreciation sir.

Thanks for that, but I'm really no mechanic and just figured it out as I went.  I also had Rick Jones' informative sticky as a reference.

I drove the car to Colorado Springs to the AMO National last year, 1,600 miles round trip.  Even took it over Wolf Creek Pass.  I've had no problems with the transmission at all since the swap except for the one time mentioned earlier where I had a defective TPS.

I just bought a '73 Javelin (with a 727) too, and have been asking myself if I should put an AW4 into it as well.  Driving the two back to back has given me a good way to compare.  The 727 shifts fine, but yes, when I get up to about 50 mph I keep expecting it to shift to the next gear and (obviously) it doesn't.  

That's really the only major difference to me.  The AW4 shifts a little smoother, but I don't find the shifting of the 727/998 to be objectionable.  There is something to be said for keeping a car original, which is the reason I've held onto my original 998 transmission.

I guess it comes down to how much freeway driving you do.  Around town, there's no reason to have an AW4.  Here in rural AZ, with our 75 mph speed limit, there's a definite plus side to having an OD gear.  I'll have to decide soon as I'm planning to rebuild the 360 in my '73 later this year and that would be the ideal time to do the transmission swap.

Edited by CamJam - May/23/2022 at 11:31pm
'73 Javelin 360 (current project)
'72 Baja Bronze Javelin SST
'69 Big Bad Orange AMX (2018 Teague Heritage Award) SOLD

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
  Share Topic