TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Shifting issues

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ralph G. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Shifting issues
    Posted: Sep/23/2018 at 6:33pm
I’m having shifting issues with the T-10 in my ‘68 AMX with a Hurst Competition Plus shifter. Sometimes when moving off from a stop it will jump out of first gear. If I shove it into first pretty hard or keep my hand on the shift lever it seems better. Also, when upshifting, the trans will occasionally jump out of third or it won’t be fully in gear when the shift lever seems to be in position all of the way. It doesn’t happen all of the time, but it’s frequent enough to be annoying. Downshifts are never a problem. Going from reverse to neutral will also tend to bind up the linkage sometimes, but I’ve heard that this model shifter sometimes will act that way. I do hear a bit of gear or bearing noise when cruising along, but I’m not sure if it’s the trans or the throw out bearing. Do my problems seem more like a shifter adjustment or an internal transmission issue? And do the T-10’s tend to just get noisy after a while? (Mine has over 100,000 miles on it.) Thanks!
401MATCOUPE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 401MATCOUPE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/23/2018 at 7:03pm
Factory Hurst or Aftermarket Hurst??  I know 68 didn't come with a Hurst....but here is a big difference between the two units and the installation.
Ross K. Peterson
68X,GoPac,343,AT,52A(1stCar)
68X,GoPac,390,4sp,52A
69X,GoPac,390,4sp,64A
70X,GoPac,390,4sp,87A,8
70X,GoPac,390,4sp,BBO,8
70 Jav SST,390,AT,BSO
74MatX,401,AT,Prototype
74MatX,401,AT
tyrodtom View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tyrodtom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/23/2018 at 7:07pm
I might be a out of adjustment shifter, or it's just worn,  or transmission worn too.   But whatever it is you need to fix it soon before it does permanent harm to the transmission,  if it hasn't already done that.  You can still get rebuild kits for Hurst shifters the last time I checked,  it might be rebuild time.

66 American SW, 66 American 2dr, 82 J10, 70 Hornet, Pound, Va.
Ralph G. View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ralph G. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/23/2018 at 8:46pm
It was a new aftermarket Hurst shifter. I don’t know if there was an issue with shifting the car before the Hurst was installed.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic