TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior > HVAC
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Javelin Heater Core 401 V8

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WizKid12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Javelin Heater Core 401 V8
    Posted: Sep/29/2018 at 7:15pm
My heater core was leaking, so I removed the assembly including the blower fan (open hole in my firewall). I only plan on driving the car in the summer, so I have no interest in having neither heat nor A/C (car already missing A/C unit). The heater hose coming out of the water pump used to go into the heater core. If I decide not to run a heater core, where do I connect the hose coming from the water pump? My guess would be the intake manifold hose but not sure if they flow in the same direction. Appreciate any input.
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/29/2018 at 7:43pm
You can connect the 3/4" hose from the water pump to the 3/4" fitting for heater core on the intake @ #8 cylinder.
71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
WizKid12 View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WizKid12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/29/2018 at 8:07pm
Awesome! Thank you! That's exactly where I thought. Just wanted to be sure the passages flowed the same way.
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/29/2018 at 8:27pm
Originally posted by WizKid12 WizKid12 wrote:

Awesome! Thank you! That's exactly where I thought. Just wanted to be sure the passages flowed the same way.

Basically the connection is removing the heater core from being in line with the flow, and will help keep the rear part of the engine a wee cooler. Though it will take a wee longer to warm up in the winter but only if you get freezing temps. The 3/4" hose is not a big bypass to the thermostat, but the thermostat has a bypass, but is restricted.

If you want you can place a coupling inline to reduce the passage flow. A 3/4" nipple to 1/4" npt male coupled to a 1/2" npt male to 1/4" npt female, which replaces the fitting to the intake manifold. It will restrict 1/2 the flow, so it will have the least effect with the thermostat bypass.

Other than that, a pipe plug for the intake and a tap to thread the inside diameter of heater nipple to accept a pipe plug. Thus sealing off the extra flow path completely.
71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic