TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

T-10 Swap & Rear Gearing

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/18/2018 at 6:35am
The T-5 is a better driver option -- unless you plan on banging it really hard. The T-10 is stronger for drag racing, but as noted, you need a lot of gear (3.91- 4.10).  The stronger T-5s will take some racing, but not constant with a big motor.  There are stronger five speeds around, like the Richmond Gear... how fast can you afford to go? Mustang T-5s are the most cost effective options and good for a cruiser/play car as long as you don't bang on it too often. Even with the T-5 you need more gear! 3.15 will probably work, but you will only use 5th at 70+. You need around 2000 rpm to be just in the power band of a stock to mild cam. If you have a lumpy cam you will need to cruise a bit higher. Whatever rpm your cam is advertised as making power at  you need a couple hundred rpm more to make sure you're not working the engine to hard or you will burn a lot more fuel (a Comp 280H is listed as 2000-6000 rpm, so minimum cruise speed should be at least 2200). Use a gear calculator such as the one at www.4lo.com (easy to remember site!) to figure out your best gearing and tire size. There is a tire diameter calculator there too. Just ignore the LT in front of the tire size. Only difference between LT (Light Truck) and car tires is the tread design and sometimes plies -- no difference in sizing. Use "1" for transfer case ratio to cancel the case out.
Frank Swygert
Red Devil View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/18/2018 at 11:10am
... I have a 250@0.050" cam and it cruises fine in OD at 1800 rpm. Biggest issue with running lower cruise rpms with many carburetors is you are still on the idle circuit, which is often richer than the main circuit, so for best mileage you either need a smaller carburetor, which isn't good for higher rpms, or you need to lean the idle circuit at typical cruise rpms. Ignition advance is also a factor as you many not have enough advance at the lower rpms for best cruise efficiency, so tune to suit.

If the car is just an around-the-town toy and you can fit the T10 easily with not much cost, add 4.10 gears and enjoy. If you plan much interstate driving, the 5 speed is the way to go.

Hope this helps,RD.
Ken_Parkman View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken_Parkman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/18/2018 at 11:38am
I hated the 2.23 low T10. Simply not enough gear range. It managed to be a dog off the line and unacceptable on the highway at the same time. A 727 with a decent converter is a better street combo, maybe not as much fun though. If you are going to the effort to swap to a stick go the extra and use a 5 speed OD. I went to a TKO cause I wanted the strength.

Cheap/easy way to go solve the dog on the starting line problem is a converter that matches the cam.
Moffman View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moffman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/18/2018 at 12:06pm
Yeah that's a good point it looks like with the .63 overdrive of a T5 I'd still need lower gears in the rear to get a decent cruise rpm for the cam.  My main area that I care about is how it is around town though. Also did a lot of research on the strength of the T5, with the motor that's in it now I wouldn't just throw a standard WC out of mustang. I think I'd need at least a T5Z and try not slam gears like a madman which can be tough to resist at times. Seems like you can build a T5 pretty stout with the Gforce setup but then cost wise you're in TKO/T56 range and it's not making enough power to justify that.

So anyone need a '68-'69 T10 setup lol?

Ken did you have to do a lot of hammering and cutting to get that TKO in there?
Ken_Parkman View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken_Parkman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/18/2018 at 9:38pm
Did have to raise the tranny tunnel about 1", just over the box section of the tranny. Cut the section, moved it forward and up, welded it back in filling in the gaps. I was very afraid of cutting it, and turned out a lot easier than expected. I have a 71 Javelin console in the 69 Rambler, and it fits great over the modified floor. You can't tell. I have the forward and offset Keisler shifter and it perfectly matches stock location but I think Keisler is bust. The whole thing looks like it belongs there. The TKO has lots of options for shifter location.
Moffman View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moffman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/19/2018 at 4:02pm
Originally posted by Ken_Parkman Ken_Parkman wrote:

Did have to raise the tranny tunnel about 1", just over the box section of the tranny. Cut the section, moved it forward and up, welded it back in filling in the gaps. I was very afraid of cutting it, and turned out a lot easier than expected. I have a 71 Javelin console in the 69 Rambler, and it fits great over the modified floor. You can't tell. I have the forward and offset Keisler shifter and it perfectly matches stock location but I think Keisler is bust. The whole thing looks like it belongs there. The TKO has lots of options for shifter location.

Doesn't sound too bad, nice.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic