TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

oil/water heat exchanger (oil cooler)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: oil/water heat exchanger (oil cooler)
    Posted: Oct/23/2018 at 12:18pm
i finally got around to looking at OEM type oil/water (so-called) oil coolers. came across this Ford jobbie that is very, very seductive:

basically it sits between the oil filter and the oil filter remote mount and has a small stacked-plate heat exchanger in it. it has 3/4" heater hose connections.

it's better than an air/oil cooler -- surrounded with regulated temp water it speed engine warmup.

surely it's not thread-compatible with the AMC filter, i assume. but the Ford app is remote, so a remote filter kit neatly solves the problem. no harm in a modern huge Ford diesel oil filter on the AMC engine either.

i've been quiet here because i guess i'm exiting stock/resto AMC concerns at a rapid rate. i just came back from a two-day tour with my vintage sports car friends. an Accusump solved oil pressure loss in turns, so now it's throttle through turns. with that i might do some autocrossing (oil pickup dry was a major limitation) so i can get some documentable numbers.

to the point here though, if you are doing anything endurance you need an oil cooler. my 195.6 OHV would be dead twice over without it. i've got an 8 x 10 cooler with fan. on one run from about 2500 to 5000 feet, the road west into Wrightwood in the Angeles Forest, WOT, 3000-3200 rpm, 5th gear, solid 20 to 30 minutes, on the steeper inclines it slowed, i kept my foot in it. up at the peak, 170 F water, 190 oil, slowed to a smooth idle (then roaring back down the hill).

the Dorman 918-110 and like it look like a great add-on solution. i'm all set for now but i plan on seeing if the local O'Reilly's has one in stock i can put my hands on. and also go look at a Ford F-250 oil filter to see what that looks like (threads, etc). gets some measurements and all that.

i've put 24,000 miles on this little engine in 18 months, most of that in 2018 so far (not done yet!), half of that "at speed". back in 2015 i melted all lower end bearings in this motor doing half as much work, before i added oil cooling (and probably more important, good machine work).

i'm def out of power, lol! i did get a 70's porsche 911 to pull over and let me by -- on a long downhill. run where power doesn't matter as much. on the uphills they all kill me. but in turns this thing's killer now.

1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

mixed up View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mixed up Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/24/2018 at 12:28am
if your looking for some ideas take a look at 78 mercruise boat power stearing cooler u can tap off the sending unit hole and run it through those coolers I have a spare if its worth some thing to you let me know
69 amx 290 auto
65 220 290 4spd
80 ford fairmont
Jmerican View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jmerican Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/24/2018 at 12:46pm
Cool story. What kind of car is this? You can source nice stacked plate exchangers of the style you are looking at, but with a better fit in terms of filter. Check out 4792912ae mopar. You can easily run a ph8/fl1 type common filter with internal bypass.
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/24/2018 at 11:18pm
Originally posted by mixed up mixed up wrote:

if your looking for some ideas take a look at 78 mercruise boat power stearing cooler u can tap off the sending unit hole and run it through those coolers I have a spare if its worth some thing to you let me know

wow! OK that was the sort of thing i was looking for in the first place. i dont think you can suck enough heat out by bleeding oil off the main gallery. also it would lower oil pressure. the best place for normal engines (eg. not the 195.6) is in series with the oil filter.

power steering doesn't generally flow a lot of oil (GPM). no idea what that boat app would be. and restrictions in oil flow are a bad thing. but it's the type of cooler i was looking for because the plumbing is so straightforward.

Originally posted by Jmerican Jmerican wrote:

Cool story. What kind of car is this? You can source nice stacked plate exchangers of the style you are looking at, but with a better fit in terms of filter. Check out 4792912ae mopar. You can easily run a ph8/fl1 type common filter with internal bypass.

it's the roadster i made from a 61 american: http://sr-ix.com/Roadster/

that mopar part looks air cooled? but it's interesting that chrysler is following the same "add on" cooler technique. air-cooled would definitely not be adequate for the 195.6. it needs serious cooling. my 10 x 10 stacked plate with electric fan running 100% cools the oil to only 190.)

(i think a lot of people are dubious of my claim that pretty much all "daily driver" 195.6's need an oil cooler; all i'll suggest further is to screw a temp sensor in the back hole in the main gallery, and measure. no need to take my word for anything.)

1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

Jmerican View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jmerican Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/25/2018 at 12:46pm
After checking out your site, I’m now catching your drift. I thought you wanted a small warmer.. those exchangers really work well to stabilize oil temp, and will provide some cooling as well, but not along the lines of what you need. Either you want a Motorsport grade thermostat and both types, or thermostat and larger oil to water exchanger. A marine exchanger builder could make what you want, with fittings all sized right. Or laminova type would be better/lighter/more efficient. The marine exchanger is really designed for high temp differential and would not be as “cool” as one might think. That old water pump might be a good candidate for a better impeller as well.

Cool car, thanks for sharing it.
ramblin64sw View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramblin64sw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/27/2018 at 9:26am
Love your roadster! Thanks for sharing the link to your build. It would be nice to see it in person some day. Very impressive.
akimmet View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akimmet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/08/2018 at 9:28am
The Mopar unit isn't air cooled, the water fittings are just on the end the filter screws on.

The Ford units you found are for Super Duty trucks with gas engines, not diesel. The Ford units take the fl820 and fl500 filters. These have the same gasket size as older Ford/Mopar/AMC filters but have a M22x1.5 thread instead of the more common 3/4" or 13/16".
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic