TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

RHD AMX

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 121314
Author
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mostly last. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/20/2022 at 5:02pm
Originally posted by 401MATCOUPE 401MATCOUPE wrote:

Super happy to help you out!!!!   Someday, I want to come over for a visit!!

Ross

You are a champion Ross. 

Plan on some time over here. Your help got two of our AMX's on the road. 
We have been on the road with both a lot lately. Be great to show you around our country with two travelling together. 

69 AMX. Aussie AMX#14
68 AMX 390 ex USA.
Mostly last. View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Mostly last. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/17/2023 at 6:01pm
 Extra fuel, tools, spare parts and camping gear has the back down on long trips so been experimenting with springs. Wanted the AMX at close to factory ride height fully loaded.
 If we lived in the USA Eaton springs would be the go. Shipping to Australia is expensive.

Rear springs was easy, 1969 factory plus a full length extra leaf +2.5" reset and re tempered.

Front I tried 3 different Hyperco springs readily available on ebay with global shipping.
 The ends are ground flat and neat same as factory.
18SNU-125  16" x 5" coil had the front at 54 year old sagged factory springs height.
18SNT-125   20" x 5" coil had the front too high. 
82069 Gabriel front shock absorber was at full extension parked.
  Thicker wire, factory coil insulators don't fit. ( Prothane insulators work )
18SNT-100   20" x 5" coil works for us. Not as many coils as factory but wire is same diameter.
Ride is harsher empty, but fully loaded, ride and handling suits us fine. 

Still good factory coil, 100lb 20 x 5" Hyperco and 125lb 20" x 5" Hyperco.

225kg ( about 450lb ) in the back to set torque links.

Where we are at empty.

Did a drive yesterday with a few friends down the Palmerston in the rain. 
Sun came out at Mission Beach.
Good to be driving an Aussie AMX.

69 AMX. Aussie AMX#14
68 AMX 390 ex USA.
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mostly last. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/28/2023 at 5:38pm
  Best thing about older cars is you can fix them yourself. Don't need to be near a big city.
TSM, this forum, some measuring tools from The Tool Exchange in Brisbane  ( good second hand gear, find them online ) you can do most everything.
  Engine that came with our 68 390 AMX had a few problems first start. Pulled it and fixed the obvious ones. Lifter tick when I tried it again. Pulled it again and installed brand new lifters. Lifter tick again.
  TSM shows lifter testing tool J-5790 required. 
Couldn't find one here and no one local I know of can test them. 
Using the parameters described in the V8 engine section of the TSM I made one.
Tested 32 lifters and came up with 16 good ones.  Even a couple from the brand new set were no good.
Done a few mile now with no lifter noises at all.
 Found out since some airplane engines have hydraulic lifters and felt pretty good when a bloke from the aerodrome borrowed the tool I made to test his.

Hope this helps someone.

I have trouble fitting wiper arms to the spigot while leaning over the fender. This helps.

This works instead of mesh in the oil fill cap. ( Pulled the oil cap apart and reassembled without mesh. )
Got a piece of hose over the end of the filter and round the first bend inside the factory hose. 

69 AMX. Aussie AMX#14
68 AMX 390 ex USA.
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mostly last. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/29/2023 at 5:09am
   Was measuring pinion depth with a straight edge and a vernier caliper. 
Made this from a UNF bolt, two nuts and a piece of old 1/2" hex key. Drilled a hole end on in the hex key, welded one nut to it, use the other nut as a lock nut. Found it way more accurate specially with the diff still on the vehicle.

End cut off a dead 12v cigarette lighter is a snug fit to stop gearknob cracking.

Smiles per mile.

69 AMX. Aussie AMX#14
68 AMX 390 ex USA.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 121314
  Share Topic