TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

3180259 RV Cam?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 3180259 RV Cam?
    Posted: Nov/14/2018 at 6:40am
I know from research that the 3180259 cam was an AMC "blank" and ground for purpose. There are many posts with different lifts and the separation is cast in the blank either 110, 112.
So just got a motor with one of these that isn't bad, just a little wear that a slight polish or regrind and nitrating would take care of.

It's 110 separation, 1.390" base lobe and 1.700" max lift, intake and exhaust. That would put it at a 0.496" valve lift. Pretty high for a factory cam. 

Question, is this what AMC called an RV cam? Does anyone know the RV cam specs?

Just some more information after some cleaning:
- red paint between rear lobe and rear bearing
- orange and white dots of paint on the rear of the cam
- CU, C-26, D-26 cast in the middle
- engraved behind the timing gear face, 1424 and 86-31-96 

Thanks

Edited by Trader - Nov/15/2018 at 11:19am
Rebel327 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel327 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/15/2018 at 12:24pm
RV specs? 3/4 race specs?
Watching....
ccowx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccowx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/16/2018 at 12:52am
The only cams I have heard of from AMC were the factory V8 Cams and the Group 19 cam. What was the application of this one? Very curious!

Thanks!

Chris 
Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/16/2018 at 5:38am
Don't know the application but the engine was driven hard.
The 72 401 had been sitting for years is my understanding. Standard bore with hone marks still there, timing chain (well stretched) was silent roller type with steel gears  - not nylon, pistons show little wear on the skirts but obvious valve contact on two.
Main and rod bearings were down to copper on half and -0.010, will have to machine to -0.020.
Block was painted gold, no sign of repaint from blue.
I just bought the short block so have no other pieces. 
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/16/2018 at 5:43am
I'd go to the Comp Cams site (or any cam maker site) and compare with their cam specs. The high lift tells me this wasn't likely an RV/towing cam though. They usually have more duration and not so high a lift. High lift is usually a racing type cam. 
Frank Swygert
Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/16/2018 at 6:00am
Did that to some extent. Taking the 86-31-96 as a guess for the grind, 86+180=266 intake duration, 31 being overlap, 96+180=276 exhaust duration, I have not found a match. But the numbers do make sense if this is what they mean.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic