TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

4L80E

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PROSTOCKTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/04/2018 at 7:37pm
Originally posted by Buzzman72 Buzzman72 wrote:

Originally posted by 304-dude 304-dude wrote:

Originally posted by Buzzman72 Buzzman72 wrote:

Originally posted by 304-dude 304-dude wrote:

donno,  why not get a good used gearvender overdrive? Them 4L80E trannies are heavy and big. You will probably need to cut your tunnel on a small body car, even on big bodies as well.

If your happy with your trannies performance and functionality,  why make it more complicated. Just my 2 cents 9 plug nickels worth.

Podnuh, 'round these parts a used Gear Vendors OD is about as rare as a mint-condition Marmon Wasp.

Oh! I figured finding a dually or an extended crew cab, or a wrecked motor home may be an easy task.  Just throwing out options. 
Around here, damn few people pay that extra $3 grand plus installation. If they were common, I'd already have a couple stashed in my garage.
Since your somewhere in Southern Indiana I will share with you. My friend Jeff bought a Gear Vendor off of Bloomington Craigslist for $600 and then spent another $400 for the adapter to a C6 transmission. He now has it working behind a factory 428 1968 Mercury. I have ridden in this car many times and I think they engage into overdrive rather harsh. Should you have interest in checking this out I can arrange a ride for you in Spencer probably anytime you're available.

Tom
6PakBee View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6PakBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/04/2018 at 10:10pm
Originally posted by PROSTOCKTOM PROSTOCKTOM wrote:

Personally here's what I think and know about overdrives. ....You mentioned having used a 200R4 in the past. While a 200R4 does require a few hard parts upgrades it IMO is the  better choice due to physical size, excellent gear ratio spread, and lack of electronics. .....Personally I would look really hard into using a 200R4 for it's physical size and excellent gear ratio spread.

Tom

I went to the Novak site looking for an adapter kit for the 200R4 and could not find one.  Am I missing something?
Roger Gazur
1969 'B' Scheme SC/Rambler
1970 RWB 4-spd Machine
1970 Sonic Silver auto AMX

All project cars.

Forum Cockroach
PROSTOCKTOM View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PROSTOCKTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/04/2018 at 10:36pm
Originally posted by 6PakBee 6PakBee wrote:

Personally here's what I think and know about overdrives. ....You mentioned having used a 200R4 in the past. While a 200R4 does require a few hard parts upgrades it IMO is the  better choice due to physical size, excellent gear ratio spread, and lack of electronics. .....Personally I would look really hard into using a 200R4 for it's physical size and excellent gear ratio spread.

Tom

I went to the Novak site looking for an adapter kit for the 200R4 and could not find one.  Am I missing something?
http://theamcforum.com/forum/adapting-a-200r4_topic65438.html

Tom
PROSTOCKTOM View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote PROSTOCKTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/04/2018 at 10:45pm
Red20 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/06/2018 at 12:30am
Originally posted by 6PakBee 6PakBee wrote:

Tom

Same one as the TH350 and most other GM 3/4 speed autos.  The 2-3 different bolt patterns for converters are on the flex plate and the converter snouts are all the same for the crank adapter bushing.  
1969 Javelin SST "Screamin' Banana" - Totaled Feb 2018
1973 Hornet Sportabout X "yellajack" - 360/727/TracLoc DAILY DRIVER
Red20 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/06/2018 at 12:39am
I fully agree with the idea that the 2004R is a really great set of gears.  I ran one in my Javelin and liked it.  I guess the reason I’m interested in running a GM electrically controlled overdrive in the first place is that I came upon a brand new EZ-TCU controller as a part of another deal the other day.  And using a GM transmission is good because I already have a Novak adapter to bolt one up.  I only need to order a new crank bushing since I buggered up the last one pulling it when I went to a TF727 for this Sportabout. 

Would I like a Gear Vendors OD?  Yep, sure would.  I’m always on the lookout for a used one.  But a used 4L60r or 4L80E can be had for beans compared to even a used GV unit when they actually pop up. 

I really don’t feel like pulling out this interior to start hacking and beating on a transmission tunnel.  But I’d like to spray this engine with a 150 shot of nitrous every now and then on the weekend, so...  I don’t know.  
1969 Javelin SST "Screamin' Banana" - Totaled Feb 2018
1973 Hornet Sportabout X "yellajack" - 360/727/TracLoc DAILY DRIVER
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic