TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

the dreaded T96!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/25/2018 at 1:07pm
The snap ring had to be seated or it couldn't have broken the tooth out. I would use the loctite on the last piece on the shaft before the snap ring was installed. Obviously something was wrong for it to have happened twice but still it was quite a few thousand miles apart between incidents. Maybe it was not the correct snap ring in that it did not go around the shaft enough or something like that. In total I think that transmission went about 120k miles before I gave up on it. Getting loctite apart though requires a certain amount of heat I think. Maybe some light heating with a propane torch would do it. Just one man's experience with the dreaded T96.

Edited by vinny - Dec/25/2018 at 1:22pm
FSJunkie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FSJunkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/25/2018 at 2:54pm
So you learn to double clutch like your grandma learned how to do when she was 15 years old during the Great Depression.
1955 Packard
1966 Marlin
1972 Wagoneer
1973 Ambassador
1977 Hornet
1982 Concord D/L
1984 Eagle Limited
vinny View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/25/2018 at 3:14pm
No you get practiced up again on taking it out for OH because as I recall when that thing slides forward off the rear shaft there is no shifting at all.
First_Gear View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote First_Gear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/23/2019 at 10:52am
I had this thing put together a couple days ago but the shifter fork is riding one side of the slider and putting very light pressure on the 1-2 synchronizer. Is there any way to center it? Will the fork bend a little without breaking? I wasn't sure if it was hardened steel or not. The TSM doesn't mention an adjustment for this..
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/24/2019 at 7:40am
TomJ knows more about the internals of these, has had one apart more recently than I. If he doesn't reply send him a PM.

Looking at the TSM (the 63 big car version) there doesn't seem to be a way to adjust, and I wouldn't try bending the fork. IIRC it's cast or forged piece. Doesn't look like you could get the front and rear shafts mixed up either. Are you sure you have the synchro assembled correctly? There is one brass thrust washer at the front of the main gear cluster and two at the rear. If those are thicker than they should be you could remove one. The TSM does mention "gauging friction ring clearance" and says it should be 0.040-0.095". Doesn't say how to adjust, but the only way I can see is by varying the thickness of the thrust washers. This is the clearance between the synchro brass sleeves and the 2-3 slider that the fork goes onto. The only other thing I see mentioned is the main shaft end play. Of all places this is under "Extension Housing", right after "Clutch Shaft Assembly" (page 5 of trans section). It states that the rear bearing lock ring is available in two thicknesses and the rear main shaft snap ring is available in FOUR thicknesses, and both affect main shaft end play. If not enough end play that would tighten things in the middle. So measure that friction ring clearance first.
Frank Swygert
6PakBee View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6PakBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/24/2019 at 10:24am
Originally posted by tomj tomj wrote:

I keep the ground-up output shaft on my shelf of shame as a reminder.

I have one of those also.  Just to keep reminding me that I'm not as smart as I sometimes think I am.
Roger Gazur
1969 'B' Scheme SC/Rambler
1970 RWB 4-spd Machine
1970 Sonic Silver auto AMX

All project cars.

Forum Cockroach
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/25/2019 at 9:48pm
Originally posted by 6PakBee 6PakBee wrote:

Originally posted by tomj tomj wrote:

I keep the ground-up output shaft on my shelf of shame as a reminder.

I have one of those also.  Just to keep reminding me that I'm not as smart as I sometimes think I am.

LOL, i'm with you on that last one!! if i saved all my misteaks i'd have no room for anything else.

1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

First_Gear View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote First_Gear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/09/2019 at 8:21pm
Thanks for everyone's help. Its been quite a challenge both finding parts and putting this thing together. Its now a mixture of NOS parts and stuff from a parts transmission. I think almost none of it is from the original trans! I had to be a little inventive but its all done and works properly (on the bench at least). I hope she holds up! I think its built as well as possible.

PS The issue I was having with the synchros was solved by flipping parts around/ swapping parts.. Trial and error. All the parts are a little different. I guess those loose tolerances can add up.
LakesideRamblin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakesideRamblin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/09/2019 at 8:31pm
Sure hope it works in your car, Tom.  Let us know how it goes!
LakesideRamblin
69 Rambler 360
73 Javelin 360
"If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month." T. Roosevelt
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic