TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Competition > Drag Racing
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Pro-Gram Engineering Caps for a 401

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PROSTOCKTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/17/2019 at 2:47am
Originally posted by Brad Brad wrote:

I wonder what it would cost ( ballpark) to buy the caps and have the machine work done? I'm guessing it would add $1000-$1500 to the cost of building an engine? Or more? 
Retail on all 5 caps with shipping is $850, $150+ for ARP studs and bolts, $600 to fit the caps and align bore the block from the shop that does my block work. So $1600 plus the cost of a 401 block.

Tom
Brad View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/17/2019 at 10:42am
Originally posted by 304-dude 304-dude wrote:

I wonder what it would cost ( ballpark) to buy the caps and have the machine work done? I'm guessing it would add $1000-$1500 to the cost of building an engine? Or more? 

$1000+ to machine a block for extra bolt holes, and true up the main bores? I doubt it costs that much.

I guess your adding the cost of the kit. My kit when I bought it, costed over $500.00 for everything with ARP studs kit, minus the rear main. Which would have put it near $750.00

Yes I meant including the caps . Thumbs Up
DragRacingSpirit View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote DragRacingSpirit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/18/2019 at 12:18pm
Originally posted by PROSTOCKTOM PROSTOCKTOM wrote:

Retail on all 5 caps with shipping is $850, $150+ for ARP studs and bolts, $600 to fit the caps and align bore the block from the shop that does my block work. So $1600 plus the cost of a 401 block.

Tom

My current build that I have run 8.90's with has the 5 program main caps, I thought it would be a prudent upgrade at that power level.

My old motor that I ran 9.40's with was 2 bolt block with main studs and after 3 years running the old motor shifting at 7500rpm, the main bearings were perfect when I pulled it out and tore it down.

For the cost/expense/time involved I would not do a factory block again. Just buy the Indy block and be done with it.
Best 1/4 mile 8.99, 1/8 mile 5.71, 60 foot 1.27, no power adders
PROSTOCKTOM View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote PROSTOCKTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/18/2019 at 6:49pm
The Indy blocks have there own problems even after you  spend the $5000 to buy one, so putting $1600 extra into a stock iron block is still $3400 less than an Indy block and at least you'll know what you have. I also own an Indy block and they require a lot of extra money, effort to get right even after the purchase. Really the best bang for the buck is a warmed over 360 and call it good, but then no one every accused racers as smart or frugle. So long as I have cash flow I'll keep spending it, since you can't take it with you.

Tom
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic