TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Engine swap American

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote r4238id Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Engine swap American
    Posted: Jan/26/2019 at 9:09pm
I have a 61 Amercian that I will be swapping the 196 out of very soon. I had read either in a previous post or another site that due to the restricted size of the engine bay it was easier to drop the engine out the bottom rather than picking out the top. It seems that the support tube that crosses side to side between the engine and the radiator caused additional restriction.  It appears it should come out the top but just may be tight. I dont want to cut or alter that tube and looking for your experiences.
pacerman View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pacerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/27/2019 at 12:02am
The 196 will come out from the top.  For clearance, just remove the radiator, fan and perhaps the water pump. Use an engine hoist with an engine tilter/leveler attachment. Joe
Happiness is making something out of nothing.
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/27/2019 at 11:19pm
i often take the head off, it makes it easier to wrangle.
1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

r4238id View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote r4238id Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/28/2019 at 1:26am
Thanks - appreciate the answers.
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/28/2019 at 6:46am
Take the water pump off too if pulling from the top, even with the radiator removed.

The engine was DESIGNED to be installed/dropped from the bottom, and it is much easier to drop that way. You have to pick the front of the car up rather high if you leave the head on the OHV though (or carb on the L-head). Removing the head (or carb) reduces height to lift the car over the engine by around 8-10". If you're planning on pulling with the trans I'd consider dropping from the bottom.

Take the hood off and support the engine with a cherry picker. I'd pull the head first, but that's up to you. Best to pull the radiator -- easy and less risk to damage. Then take the bolts out of the ends of the front and rear crossmembers and lower the engine. Once engine is lowered to the floor, attach a chain to the front bumper supports (NOT that tubular upper cross support!) and lift the front of the car with the cherry picker. You can roll the car back with the cherry picker now.

Frank Swygert
6768rogues View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6768rogues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/28/2019 at 4:56pm
If I am doing suspension work too, I drop it out of the bottom. If I am not doing suspension work I pull it out from above.
Content intended for mature audiences. If you experience nausea or diarrhea, stop reading and seek medical attention.

Located usually near Rochester, NY and sometimes central FL.
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/28/2019 at 5:52pm
The 58-63 American engine bay is MUCH tighter than the 64 and later.  I wouldn't hesitate to pull an engine and trans from the 64+ models from the top, but the earlier model is a different story -- definitely easier out the bottom with head off the OHV model.
Frank Swygert
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic