TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Replace T10 with 5 Speed

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rebelxxxxxx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/04/2019 at 12:33pm
I put a T-5Z in my 70 Rebel also. 360 with 3.54 gears. I would say the gearing is perfect for me with 275's on the rear. As Scott and others have said, absolutely the best thing I have ever done in terms of drivability to the car. I can run any speed on the highway now without the engine temp rising. Pulls most hills in 5th gear with no problem.  
1970 Rebel SST 360, 5-speed
1970 Ambassador SST 2-Dr, 360,
1972 Ambassador Station Wagon, 401
1972 Javelin 360
White70JavelinSST View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White70JavelinSST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/04/2019 at 2:16pm
Nice lookin ride there Greyhoud
70 Javelin SST, second owner, purchased 1972
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White70JavelinSST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/04/2019 at 2:27pm
Found this crazy looking adapter. It looks as though it may rotate 180 degrees too, so that it may work in many AMC cars that might need the different location.

Bandana View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/07/2019 at 6:57pm
Now there’s a good poster, right? Post a thread and then don’t come back for a week to read the replies. Sorry folks.... Between working and getting the crud... Some great replies and links - much appreciated! Seems like a T5 is the common swap? I guess nothing is going to be a Straight bolt up - never is..My Motor is putting out a bit over 450 ft lbs so a T5 might be a bit week but then again I drive like an old man...
Sonic Silver View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sonic Silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/07/2019 at 7:14pm
Originally posted by Bandana Bandana wrote:

Now there’s a good poster, right? Post a thread and then don’t come back for a week to read the replies. Sorry folks.... Between working and getting the crud... Some great replies and links - much appreciated! Seems like a T5 is the common swap? I guess nothing is going to be a Straight bolt up - never is..My Motor is putting out a bit over 450 ft lbs so a T5 might be a bit week but then again I drive like an old man...
Not all old men drive like old men.
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White70JavelinSST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/08/2019 at 8:16am
Originally posted by Bandana Bandana wrote:

Bandana,

If you really want a new bullet proof 5 or 6 speed, visit Tremec's website.

The vendors, like Jeg's, Summit, a lot of them, sell the transmissions too.

Hanlon Motorsports can build you a T5 or supply parts for a T5 that will handle 450 ft.lbs.

Like mentioned several times on this forum, a WC T5 will take a fair amount of abuse, sticky tires will kill one quick when exceeding it's torque limits.

scott View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/08/2019 at 3:37pm
Modern Driveline makes this slick tail housing to move the shifter forward on the T5, if you need to do that for your application.  http://transmission.moderndriveline.com/speed/pc/Ford-T-5-Front-Shift-Tail-Housing-Rear-position-55p887.htm

You could try to do the same thing with an S10 tail, but that gets the shifter too far forward, & you have to rig the speedo drive gear to make it work. Or, try & find the AMC T5 & use the tail off of that. They seem to be made out of unobtanium these days. So, the Modern Driveline tail housing fits the bill well in my opinion.

A friend is going to be putting a T5 together with one of the MD tailhousings, I look forward to seeing how it works. 
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White70JavelinSST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/08/2019 at 3:51pm
Originally posted by scott scott wrote:

Modern Driveline makes this slick tail housing to move the shifter forward on the T5, if you need to do that for your application.  http://transmission.moderndriveline.com/speed/pc/Ford-T-5-Front-Shift-Tail-Housing-Rear-position-55p887.htm

You could try to do the same thing with an S10 tail, but that gets the shifter too far forward, & you have to rig the speedo drive gear to make it work. Or, try & find the AMC T5 & use the tail off of that. They seem to be made out of unobtanium these days. So, the Modern Driveline tail housing fits the bill well in my opinion.

A friend is going to be putting a T5 together with one of the MD tailhousings, I look forward to seeing how it works. 

Would this be for drivers who need the seat all the way forward?  I have to have the seat all the way back and the shifter just seems to be located about correctly for my long gorilla arm reach. Heck even my old gf who is about 5'8" drove the car without trouble with the shifter located centered in the auto trans tunnel opening.
scott View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/08/2019 at 4:41pm

[/QUOTE]

Would this be for drivers who need the seat all the way forward?  I have to have the seat all the way back and the shifter just seems to be located about correctly for my long gorilla arm reach. Heck even my old gf who is about 5'8" drove the car without trouble with the shifter located centered in the auto trans tunnel opening.
[/QUOTE]

You need to move the shifter forward for bench seat applications, such as the SC 360 & SC Rambler. Or any other AMC equipped with a bench seat. The AMC tail is supposed to get the shifter in the same spot as the T10 shifter, but centered in the tunnel. The MD tail looks to place the shifter an inch or two forward of the T10 shifter location.

The MD tail housing also gets rid of the 5 degree rotated Ford trans mount, & it uses the smaller GM transmission mount, which may help in tight clearance applications.
rogue_66 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogue_66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/09/2019 at 3:08am
Originally posted by scott scott wrote:

I would highly recommend upgrading your T-10 to a 5 speed. Been there...done that. Best upgrade to date. T5Z behind a puffed up 390 in a Gremlin w/factory torque links. 9.5 x 18 rear rims...10" tires. Steel bell housing, 10.5" dual friction 10 spline racing clutch & racing pressure plate. 4K miles so far with lots of unintentional sideways drifts. Factory AMC 20 twin grip. 354 gears. 2250 RPM = 75 MPH. 18 MPG from Denver, Co to Kenosha, WI & back in 2014. Haven't broke it yet Big smile.

Some tunnel fabrication will most likely be required to install a 5 speed in any car. Both of the cars I installed it in were small cars (66 Rogue & 72 Gremlin X) & required fabrication in each instance...

...here's a link with pics of the underside of the Gremlin build...scroll about halfway down the page...

Scott & I traded thoughts on this topic long ago. MD helped me dial in the performance parts initially...but in the end it took some custom machine work & fabrication to really make things work smoothly.

Cheers,
Dean

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic