TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Help choosing red SEM color for 85 Eagle interior
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Help choosing red SEM color for 85 Eagle interior

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Itsawykydtron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help choosing red SEM color for 85 Eagle interior
    Posted: Feb/05/2019 at 5:27am
Howdy folks! I've been avoiding joining any forums for help with my 85 Eagle Wagon the last 2 years but as I've been getting more into it lately I think it's finally time.

I've been cleaning up the interior and the rear trim is very chalky. Searching around I've seen on other classic car forums people have good results with the sem texture and color products. I'm trying to figure out which color might be a good match. I did some searching here but had no luck.

Has anybody done this and can share what they used?

I'm thinking maybe firethorn red
Color chart:
http://www.tcpglobal.com/SEM-VCS-CC_3.html?sc=115&category=3837703#.XFlx6UBOk0M

SeanHatfield View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeanHatfield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/05/2019 at 6:29am
I did the same thing for my 81 Spirit interior parts. Since they are chalky (like mine) I recommend degreasing them and washing them with dawn dish soap or another detergent to remove any surface oils, then sanding them/scuffing them with a high grit sand paper. 320 or higher should do the trick. You can also get one of those 3M scuff pads and do it that way. I sanded mine wet and then let them dry. After that, I went to my local Ridge NAPA Auto parts store and had them custom match the paint on my interior by bringing in a piece for them to scan with some fancy device. They need a flat piece at least the size of a business card, so keep that in mind. I used the back side of my wheel arch pieces for my Spirit since those weren't sun faded like the rest. They even put the paint in a spray can for me to make the job easier. I wiped down all of the parts twice with rubbing alcohol prior to painting and used SEM Flexible Surfacer Primer (2 Coats) to ensure it stuck well and didn't crack if the plastic flexed. Then I went with the custom paint on top (3 Coats) until I thought it looked good. Turned out great! Good luck with your search. I know in my case SEM didn't have an exact match and I was looking for near perfect, so custom was the only way to go. I believe the cans of paint were around $18 custom mixed, which is only a few dollars more than SEM anyway.
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeanHatfield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/05/2019 at 6:32am
Here's a link to my project and the page where you'll find what all I did for the interior pieces on my Spirit.

Itsawykydtron View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Itsawykydtron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/05/2019 at 6:40am
Thanks for the tips. I'll have to check with my napa and see if they can do that. I know the body shop supply can match paints and can them but I've never asked about different types of paints Curious, we're you just using regular paint or was it interior specific?
Edit: great project thread! Your panels look awesome.

Edited by Itsawykydtron - Feb/05/2019 at 6:44am
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeanHatfield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/06/2019 at 5:03am
The paint they mixed for me was an acrylic enamel paint. With the SEM Flexible Surfacer Primer underneath it, it allows it to flex without cracking. Acrylic enamel is some pretty tough stuff, so it should hold up pretty well to some scuffing and normal wear and tear associated with interior plastics. I imagine all of the windshield interior trim and parts that don't get a lot of wear because of their location will look fantastic for a long time. I made sure I got plenty of extra in case I needed to do a touch up on anything, especially the driver and passenger kick panels since those are always getting scuffed when you put your feet inside the footwells. Good luck with your project! Happy to help!
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Itsawykydtron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/06/2019 at 5:08am
Thanks for the clarification. I stopped by Napa last night and they do not do paint at my store. I will have to call the local paint supply. I may also call a body shop owner I know who has restored many muscle cars.
303Y03 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 303Y03 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/06/2019 at 2:31pm
Sem color coat is a very good product. Prep and clean surface first with sem-soap cleaner.
Napa Red #15273 is a little darker then firethorn.
good luck.
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Itsawykydtron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/06/2019 at 2:44pm
You've used Napa red with good results? Thanks for the soap recommendation. Hadn't seen that before.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic