TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain > Eagle and Jeep Specific drive-train issues
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Worn motor mounts causing in CV joint destruction?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Worn motor mounts causing in CV joint destruction?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Itsawykydtron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/04/2019 at 4:59am
73gremlin- I get what you're saying and that may have played a role. I believe that the shorter inner joint allows for a lot less travel though. My ride height varied by about 1/2 side to side. What I didn't know until I did springs was that the LF spring was broken as well.

Now I'm riding about 2 inches higher but have only idled around the parking lot because I have to repair both front brake lines and I was waiting on calipers.

Everything should be completed and driving in a week or 2. Then it will be time to sort out my rear shocks and springs! Also FWIW I ordered motor mounts but haven't done them yet as mine seem totally fine.
MacGyver View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MacGyver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/04/2019 at 8:51pm
Thank you for staying up late to keep me from buying inferior parts!!  Thumbs Up
Much appreciated!!   Thank you also for the imgur link!
Quite the difference in both the inner housing AND the boots!!

I'll definitely stay away from the Surtrak brand!
I'll see what the local parts house will supply me with, and likely take along a tape measure when they come in!! Wink

By the way, that Retrosound stereo looks awesome!!  Very stock looking!!  Love it!!
And your wagon is the exact twin of my second last Eagle!!  (sadly parted out due to massive rust issues!   But it's drivetrain lives on in my current car!!)

73gremlin-  I also get what you're saying...  The shafts may not have been operating at the most optimal angles, but why would the ride height being different from side to side increase the chances of a shaft pulling apart vs. both shafts being at the same non-optimal angle??
That's what confuses me....   The axle is solidly mounted to the car...   The CV shafts should be able to operate at different angles from each other without fear of one pulling apart...
Not to mention...  In the original post, the car was driving straight ahead through an intersection!!  No extreme angles in that situation!

Sorry...  Not trying to be a d!ck or anything, but just trying to understand!

You Drive A What?!?
MacGyver View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MacGyver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/13/2019 at 8:58pm
Here's an update on my experience with this issue...
Just in case anyone is still following...  Or cares....

And I'm sorry if I might be hijacking the thread!!

On the experience of ItsaWykydron, I avoided the Surtrak "new" axles, and ordered
the Cardone remans from RockAuto.

My parts guy could not get me any axles at all locally...
He coulda ordered them third party out of Montreal, but then I'd have to pay shipping and all that crap....
Ordered the exact same part he would have got me from Rockauto, and saved about 100 bucks!

That said....   Pretty sure these "remans" are just as short as the casting on the Surtrak
version!!!  And they look quite puny compared to the originals...
I think I might be in the exact same situation as Wyky with completely different axles!!
Not really happy with what I received!!

I'll try to post pics and measurements tomorrow...
You Drive A What?!?
Itsawykydtron View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Itsawykydtron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/14/2019 at 3:29am
Bummer! Maybe if the parts are compatible you could swap your inner cup over and use their outer and shaft? Just a thought.
MacGyver View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MacGyver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/16/2019 at 3:43pm
I wish that was an option!!
But the inner housings are quite different and about an inch smaller in diameter
in addition to being about 3/4 - 1" shorter!!!

I forgot to take pic of the diameter measurement, but here are some pics:

This is an A1-Cardone remanufactured axle

This is an old core I found in the back corner of my garage in a pile of grossness!

Check out this big goofy nut that comes with the new one!!

That'll make it tough to get a cotter pin through the hole in the shaft!!  Hah!!

I'm not sure what the heck to do now!!

Do I install one, and go for an offroading test drive to see if it'll pull apart??
Do I have a tow truck follow me everywhere for the next few months??
Do I call it a very expensive mistake, and spend a fortune shipping them back over
the border to RockAuto??  And then install what?!?

I can't seem to find any other replacements around here!!  Ouch

You Drive A What?!?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic