TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior > HVAC
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

AC Compressor Head Bolt Size

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: AC Compressor Head Bolt Size
    Posted: Feb/10/2019 at 12:40pm
I need to order a front shaft seal for my York compressor. NAPA shows two sizes based on size of the "head bolts",  either 1/4" or 3/8". Unfortunately I am about an hours drive from my car right now. Can anyone tell me which is correct for our AMCs, or better yet give me a NAPA part number? Thanks!

EDIT: AutoZone carries both types. They were cheap so I ordered both. NAPA calls out the "head bolt" size, but I think they mean the seal plate, as I can see from the photos that the bolt hole sizes are larger on one than the other. The one with larger holes comes also with a paper gasket and a ring of some sort that isn't in the other kit. Can anyone explain where this ring goes? I don't remember it from the last time I changed a front seal. Why would one have the paper gasket and  not the other? See photo.

Note that the description says Santech, but that's the brand of the seal, not the compressor it fits.

The York/CCI manuals say nothing about different seals or seal plates that I can see. I wonder if one type is used in the heavy duty (i.e. semi tractor) or cast iron Tecumsah compressors?

Edited by CamJam - Feb/11/2019 at 7:44pm
'73 Javelin 360 (current project)
'72 Baja Bronze Javelin SST
'69 Big Bad Orange AMX (2018 Teague Heritage Award) SOLD

Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/10/2019 at 5:06pm
No help to you but this may answer the question of why there are 2x seals listed:
CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/10/2019 at 6:09pm
Thanks, Trader. Some of that I knew but there was some new info there too.

Also,  I solved some of the mystery about the head bolts.  NAPA uses that term on their web site, but they actually mean "bolt heads".  Big difference! The seal plate bolts that have a 1/4" head fit into a 7/32" hole in the plate.

The bolts with a 3/8" head fit into a 9/32 hole.

That explains why I was seeing all these different numbers mentioned on various web sites, but it appears that there are only two sizes, determined by the size of the seal plate bolt heads.  I think our AMCs use the smaller one, but I haven't confirmed that yet.

Edited by CamJam - Feb/10/2019 at 7:01pm

CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/11/2019 at 7:32pm
I've conformed that my compressor has the smaller bolts with the 1/4" head.  Not sure whether that's true of all AMC compressors or not, but it is the case on both my '69 and '72 Javelin.  

In case anyone wants to know, the AutoZone part # for that front seal kit is MT-2047. It's right at $10 at my local store.  This kit does not come with the paper seal mentioned on my first post, so I guess that's only used with the large-bolt (3/8") seal plate.

You can access one of the bolts on the seal plate without removing the a/c clutch in case you want to check the size of the bolts on your compressor. 

Edited by CamJam - Feb/11/2019 at 7:43pm

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic