TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

What heads to use

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote disamatic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What heads to use
    Posted: Feb/17/2019 at 3:41pm
Hey folks, hope everyone is enjoying the day, maybe the daytona 500? So I'm putting together my 360, I have 3 sets of heads to choose from, this is just a mild build, .030 over, comp 10-201-4, DUI ignition, 4 barrel intake and carb, headers. For my cj5, 4spd. 4.09 gears. I have one set with casting numbers 3233344, one set with 3220502-2, and last, 3218086-1. Primary use will be sand dunes and snow. As well as street. Any info appreciated. Thank you for your time.
PHAT69AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PHAT69AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/17/2019 at 3:59pm
Well for now have this already uploaded

PHAT69AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PHAT69AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/17/2019 at 4:06pm
Ah crap those 321 6086 are 304 small valve heads but they can be cut and fitted with 360 size valves.
If the one pair is actually 321 6086 those are stock for Individual Rocker Studs ( "better" ) ?
The others are should be for Bridged Rockers, which will work also
but non-adjustable Valve Train unless more is spent for expensive bolt-in drop-in
roller rockers by Scorpion or Harland Sharp or machine and buy parts
IF adjustable Valve Train is desired, otherwise Bridged can be "accommodated"
by way of possibly non-stock length pushrods if needed due to other new parts
( cam, lifters ) and/or milled heads and/or block.
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/18/2019 at 6:38am
If you want better low end torque and aren't interested in high rpm (over 4000 or so) power, the 304 heads with the small valves and ports might be the best choice. They will produce slightly better low speed power due to a higher velocity intake charge. In the 4000-5000 rpm range they will start to be restrictive due to the small ports. If you were building a rock crawler I'd say definitely go with the small port heads, but since you say dunes and snow you might be revving the engine up a good bit. I'd still consider the small port heads since you have low gears, but tire size will be a factor too. If you don't rev it up past 4000 often it's a consideration. While you can put bigger valves in the 304 heads, the ports themselves are a bit smaller than 360/401 heads. That might be a good compromise between the two -- 304 heads with larger valves.
Frank Swygert
amcenthusiast View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote amcenthusiast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/18/2019 at 7:17am
It's really hard to beat the stock engineering; trust what the engineers designed for the engine.

Use the stock 360 head = 323 3344.

Leave (or sell) the 322 0502 for a 401 (for restored '74 401 AMX person, for the rare engine)

Leave (or sell) the small valve head for a 304 engine build.

This way, you maximize the potential $ value of each head.
443 XRV8 Gremlin YouTube video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?reload=9&v=2DmFOKRuzUc
XRV8 Race Parts website: http://amcramblermarlin.1colony.com/
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic