TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Hornet steering column

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Class Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hornet steering column
    Posted: Feb/17/2019 at 6:44pm
I was installing the steering column into my '71 Hornet today after disassembling, cleaning, new bearings, paint and ran into a big problem.  The steering column has shrunk in length!  It is now about 2" short of meeting the steering box.  I do not know if somehow I have collapsed it or what, but it would help if someone can tell me the overall length of a stock '71 non-tilt column for manual steering.  I need the lengths A & B shown in the picture below, please.

Addicted to acceleration.
Owner and Admin for
www.classracerinfo.com
71SC360 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 71SC360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/20/2019 at 9:57am
Dwight, unfortunately all of my columns are in storage, otherwise I would help you out..
Class Guy View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Class Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/20/2019 at 10:01am
Originally posted by 71SC360 71SC360 wrote:

Dwight, unfortunately all of my columns are in storage, otherwise I would help you out..

Thanks for the consideration. Since no one has offered any info, I am planning to disassemble the column (again!) this weekend to see if I can figure out what the heck is going on.
Owner and Admin for
www.classracerinfo.com
kirkwood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kirkwood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/20/2019 at 11:44am
I ha love a few here -

Overall lengthy from the top of the bowl to the lower tip of the shaft (without the flange installed is right around 46.25”. From the lower bearing to lower tip is 14.5”
AMO Newsletter Editor
White70JavelinSST View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White70JavelinSST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/20/2019 at 11:45am

[/QUOTE]Thanks for the consideration. Since no one has offered any info, I am planning to disassemble the column (again!) this weekend to see if I can figure out what the heck is going on.[/QUOTE]

The lower part of the steering column from the rag joint flange up is collapsible. It would be that part of the column you have arrow lined in red and a B next to it. There is a nylon pin in the part of the column that has two flat sides and goes inside a larger "sleeve". The pin should be visible on two sides of the sleeve. My guess is the column got pushed on or dropped and the pin sheared and the column got shorter.

Edited by White70JavelinSST - Feb/20/2019 at 1:56pm
70 Javelin SST, second owner, purchased 1972
Sonic Silver View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sonic Silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/20/2019 at 12:22pm
Originally posted by kirkwood kirkwood wrote:

I ha love a few here -

Overall lengthy from the top of the bowl to the lower tip of the shaft (without the flange installed is right around 46.25”. From the lower bearing to lower tip is 14.5”
Maybe it will fit a Gremlin now. That whole car looks like a collapsed Hornet.
71SC360 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 71SC360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/20/2019 at 9:01pm
Originally posted by Sonic Silver Sonic Silver wrote:

I know you're joking because I am sure you know a Gremlin and Hornet use the same column.

Sonic Silver View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sonic Silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/20/2019 at 9:06pm
Originally posted by 71SC360 71SC360 wrote:

Originally posted by Sonic Silver Sonic Silver wrote:

I know you're joking because I am sure you know a Gremlin and Hornet use the same column.

I sure do, but wouldn't you agree that a Gremlin looks like a Hornet that got hit in the rear? It's the same from the doors forward, not so much behind the doors.
mixed up View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mixed up Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/20/2019 at 11:52pm
I agree with 70 jav verify that part as not become collapsed I don't think amc  change any dimension of the front of any of there cars from 70 till the end 
69 amx 290 auto
65 220 290 4spd
80 ford fairmont
Class Guy View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Class Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/21/2019 at 5:49am
Originally posted by kirkwood kirkwood wrote:

I ha love a few here -

This was the information I needed.  Thank you very much.  Apparently the column did get collapsed some, as I suspected.  Corrected it last night and installed the column with everything aligning and fits correctly.  Thank you again!

Dwight S.
Owner and Admin for
www.classracerinfo.com
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic