TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Going to the Wood Shed!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote matty 401 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/10/2018 at 4:42pm
ever thought about 6 cylinder headers ?  lots of hornets gremlins and concords out there running a 6 cylinder 

72 matador 401 the beast
79 concord 2 door
72 matador 304 grasshopper
68 Rogue 406
93 Cherokee 4.0 5 speed

232jav3sp View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 232jav3sp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/10/2018 at 6:35pm
Originally posted by matty 401 matty 401 wrote:

ever thought about 6 cylinder headers ?  lots of hornets gremlins and concords out there running a 6 cylinder 

This has been my question while reading through this thread... lol!  A header that would fit the early I6 (like the op's American) would be awesome!  I've got two cars that would be really cool with a dual outlet header. Won't lie, the price would have to right for many of us...

As to your trans; I know it's apart, but, I have an m37 out of my '69 Rambler that I'd like to sell.  I have a post in the "for sale" section.  So, if you need/want extra parts, I have them.
Ollie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ollie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/11/2018 at 7:28am
I too would LOVE a set of 6 cyl headers !!!!

Not fighting Clifford junk on my present build, they don't even port good after all the additional head aches.

Having AMC Fun,
Ollie
1966 American Convertible -- "The Rambler"..SOLD
1974 Postal Jeep -- "Rapid Delivery"...SOLD
1969 Rambler 220 post car--"Road Warrior"
1989 Jeep Comanche Pioneer, 4.0L, auto, 2wd
A.R. Headers View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A.R. Headers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/11/2018 at 8:12am
Guys,

We currently offer the finest 4.0L I6 headers you’ve ever seen for Jeep TJ’s, Cherokees and related models. A 6-1 design with rotational firing, a merge collector with scavenger spike etc. This header setup blows everything ever offered for the applications away by a country mile. They’re more expensive because of build quality and materials and for that reason only they don’t sell nearly as well as you’d expect.

When we build headers for any application, our goal is to outperform the competition. We also don’t outsource to maintain the highest level of material quality backed by a lifetime guarantee. These added costs drive the price that prevent certain segments from making a commitment to buy. It’s understandable but it’s also a shame since we’d love to dive into certain niche markets.

Let me ask this question, what would the average I6 customer be willing to spend for a very high quality USA made, 304 SS header that works and fits great? Be brutally honest please.
American Racing Headers
100% Made In USA Since 2005
BrotherBamc View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BrotherBamc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/11/2018 at 9:26am
Hey Nick...
I'm thinking on my part here and not anyone else's. I'd prefer a 3 in 1 header so that it would be a true dual exhaust. Like my old Clifford headers before they took a crap on everyone and went all el cheapo. 
One problem that I had with my old Clifford's was they hung a little low. I ended up having to weld on a skid plate to the front 3 tubes. 
A 6 into 1 would be fine for the Jeep crowd as they would need all the ground clearance that they could get. But for me personally I would want a true dual exhaust. 
I wouldn't pay anymore the 1,500 bucks for a set of 3 into 1's. And some of us, (I would think) would prefer a set of good steel tubes to help keep some of the cost down. A lot of us are getting up there in age (myself included) and steel would outlast most of us that are alive today. 
77 CJ5 360
73 Gremlin 401 4 speed
2006 Dodge Magnum R/T AWD
My Garage
ramblin64sw View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramblin64sw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/11/2018 at 9:38am
I second the motion for steel headers. Stainless is nice, but breaks the bank.

Plenty of Americans with 401's and LS motors. If you want to up the cool factor, do something wild with the straight six! Twin turbo 232 or 4.0?
matty 401 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote matty 401 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/11/2018 at 9:58am
the 4.0 stock exhaust works great on my sons sportabout  but they do not fit the 258/232 motors 
72 matador 401 the beast
79 concord 2 door
68 Rogue 406
93 Cherokee 4.0 5 speed

matty 401 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote matty 401 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/11/2018 at 9:59am
Originally posted by A.R. Headers A.R. Headers wrote:

Guys,

We currently offer the finest 4.0L I6 headers you’ve ever seen for Jeep TJ’s, Cherokees and related models. A 6-1 design with rotational firing, a merge collector with scavenger spike etc. This header setup blows everything ever offered for the applications away by a country mile. They’re more expensive because of build quality and materials and for that reason only they don’t sell nearly as well as you’d expect.

When we build headers for any application, our goal is to outperform the competition. We also don’t outsource to maintain the highest level of material quality backed by a lifetime guarantee. These added costs drive the price that prevent certain segments from making a commitment to buy. It’s understandable but it’s also a shame since we’d love to dive into certain niche markets.

Let me ask this question, what would the average I6 customer be willing to spend for a very high quality USA made, 304 SS header that works and fits great? Be brutally honest please.
i think 250 or so would be about right maybe 300 

72 matador 401 the beast
79 concord 2 door
68 Rogue 406
93 Cherokee 4.0 5 speed

CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/11/2018 at 11:36am

Seems like the money spent beefing up an M35 to handle a V8 would be better spent adapting a modern O/D transmission. Just my $.02 worth.
'73 Javelin 360 (current project)
'72 Baja Bronze Javelin SST
'69 Big Bad Orange AMX (2018 Teague Heritage Award) SOLD

6t8amxetc View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6t8amxetc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/11/2018 at 8:53pm
Originally posted by CamJam CamJam wrote:

Seems like the money spent beefing up an M35 to handle a V8 would be better spent adapting a modern O/D transmission. Just my $.02 worth.

Cam I don't think he plans to run the M35 with a V-8!
From the first page!

Bottom line, I was really shocked by the rebuild cost of the M35. The great news is that until I’m ready to swap the V8 in, I’ll have a awesome running 6 with great shifting transmission. I’ll take pictures of the package prior to installing it. At some point down the road it’ll all be for sale. The engine will look the part as well. I’m going all out on the appearance. Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Nick
A.R. Headers
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic