TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Competition > Drag Racing
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Gremlin driveshaft loop

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PHAT69AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/27/2018 at 8:58pm
When I mounted the one I made for '69 AMX it mounted to the actual Seat Mounting Bolts, 2 per side, rather than the Seat Belt Bolts.  The Stock Seat Mounting Bolts were replaced with Longer Bolts.  And I was making passes at an NHRA Track so I positioned it per the late 1980's NHRA Rules as far as I remember...

Edited by PHAT69AMX - Oct/27/2018 at 9:04pm
amxdreamer View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amxdreamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/27/2018 at 11:41pm
Thanks for the correction Phat, I meant the seat rail studs. that have nuts on the bottom side.
Tony
Vancouver, BC
1970 AMX
1972 Badassador
AMO#10333
WesternRed View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/28/2018 at 9:40pm
I think there are two aspects to it, first you need it to pass applicable safety regulations, then secondly and probably most importantly, you actually want it to work as intended if the need arises.

The off the shelf kits like the Transdapt one posted previously, probably do the job, but maybe need a bit of extra work to fit around the exhaust system and irregularities in the floor pan. 

This is the result of a high speed driveshaft failure in local road racing, it also broke the engine block:

The problem is that if you have a failure at the front of the driveshaft, it will still be driven by the back wheels and keep spinning until the car stops moving, that's where the damage is done, it's not likely to actually dig into the track and poll vault the car like a lot of people think. I'm not sure I would want the seat bolts to be serving a double purpose, the last thing you need is the seat breaking free if the bolts shear.

Edited by WesternRed - Oct/28/2018 at 9:43pm
I've finally given up drinking for good...........now I only drink for evil.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic