TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Group 19 front spoiler

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sidewinder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Group 19 front spoiler
    Posted: Sep/15/2014 at 6:13pm
Does anyone have any good information , pictures or anything else on an original fiberglass group 19 front spoiler.   I know there are at least two versions of the aftermarket ones but I have never seen an original one ...anyone??

Chuck Page   
Chuck Page ,AKA Sidewinder
1968 "BLACK CHERRY" Javelin
Previous owner of 2013 Heritage Cup winner 1970 BBO AMX

Sonic Silver View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sonic Silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/15/2014 at 6:51pm
Originally posted by sidewinder sidewinder wrote:

Does anyone have any good information , pictures or anything else on an original fiberglass group 19 front spoiler.   I know there are at least two versions of the aftermarket ones but I have never seen an original one ...anyone??

Chuck Page   

I had one on my 70 AMX, but broke it in a minor wreck in 1972, and pitched it. It seems to me that it mounted to the bottom bolts of the front fenders at the ends, and maybe had a steel bracket in the middle of the spoiler.

I don't have my AMX here at the moment to look under, which might jog my memory. I can't remember exactly how it looks behind the front license plate area.

It came light gray, and I painted it flat black. Remember, this was over 40 years ago, so I am a little fuzzy on it, since I didn't have it for long. I will see if it is in any pictures that I have. I don't think that it is. I doubt this helps much, but that is about all that I can add.
sidewinder View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sidewinder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/15/2014 at 7:21pm
thanks....everything helps!!

Chuck

360MDJav View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 360MDJav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/15/2014 at 10:26pm

Here's a pic of a very early repro group 19 spoiler (Brad and Barb Hillick/The Source). The mold was taken from an original T/A Javelin spoiler. I installed on this car in 1985.
1970 Big Bad Orange Donohue
1971 ADPS Javelin
1973 Javelin/AMX 401
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sidewinder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/16/2014 at 8:58am
Thanks for this!!  Can you tell me the mounting points/brackets? Does it have any screws into the lower radiator core?  Have any more pics?

Thanks!! Chuck Page

360MDJav View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 360MDJav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/16/2014 at 9:36am
Originally posted by sidewinder sidewinder wrote:

Thanks for this!!  Can you tell me the mounting points/brackets? Does it have any screws into the lower radiator core?  Have any more pics?

Thanks!! Chuck Page
Chuck, there's a bracket on each side that mounts to the lower fender bolts and a
center bracket that slides in between the hood latch support and lower radiator support. They
were originally intended to be screwed to the lower radiator support along the underside, but
I didn't want to drill additional holes for that. Alan
1970 Big Bad Orange Donohue
1971 ADPS Javelin
1973 Javelin/AMX 401
SANCAPJJ View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SANCAPJJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/16/2014 at 9:57am
Chuck - I sent you pics for the fender mount from the T/A Javelin fender. I also sent a comparison picture with the new mounts. I have both sides if you need addition pics. I only have the one fender hear at my business. I also sent a pic of the new center brace. There was no evidence of additional mounting on the Javelin. Hope this helps - JJ
Holeshot View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Holeshot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/17/2014 at 4:51pm
I have what I believe is the real deal.... I haven seen it in a few years, but it & the OEM brackets are out in the garage, somewhere... I'll see if I can find & photo em tomorrow....
|'69 AMX BBO 390 9.88 qtr. | '71 AMX 401 w/Richmond 5-spd | 2012 Hemi Challenger R/T 6-spd w/Sidewinders | Michigan 49120|
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sidewinder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/17/2014 at 8:16pm
Originally posted by Holeshot Holeshot wrote:

I have what I believe is the real deal.... I haven seen it in a few years, but it & the OEM brackets are out in the garage, somewhere... I'll see if I can find & photo em tomorrow....

That would be great!   I see one of the posts above mentioned that the originals were intended to be screwed into the bottom radiator support which is also shown in the parts book.  I've been curious about this for a long time....actually ever since I mounted my spoiler using just the two end brackets and the center one.   Actual pictures of an original would be great!!   Thanks!!

Chuck

ddonzella View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddonzella Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/21/2014 at 3:53pm
Contact Eddie Stakes at Planet Houston AMC. He makes the original stainless steel front spoiler used on 68, 69 AMX's.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic