TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Tool Time tool review and eval area
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Harbor Freight 12 Ton Press

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Texas275 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Harbor Freight 12 Ton Press
    Posted: Mar/09/2014 at 7:58pm
Bought one of these today for 129.00+ Tax a Harbor Freight. Central Machinery 12 ton press. The first thing I used it or was to press the hubs out of the front brake drums. Worked great. I beat on one of the hubs for an hour with no movement. Been wanting a press for a while, so this seemed like a good reason to get one.

Seems to be sturdy enough for a home shop, wish I had it when I redid the rear end. No cons yet, but only used it once.

http://www.harborfreight.com/12-ton-shop-press-60604.html
uncljohn View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncljohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/09/2014 at 10:08pm
They do, they work fine, I have used mine for going on 12 years now and the longer you have it the more you use it for. Some times you will find you need round things to push stuff through or to push with and if you have a good selection of 1/2 inch drive sockets they will become invaluable for doing work with. I used it recently to form a shift linkage rod in an unusual fashion to be able to utilize the column shift lever on the steering wheel to shift the 700R4 I am using as a transmission. 
70 390 5spd Donohue
74 Hornet In restoration
76 Hornet, 5.7L Mercury Marine Power
80 Fuel Injected I6 Spirit
74 232 I-6, 4bbl, 270HL Isky Cam
White70JavelinSST View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White70JavelinSST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/10/2014 at 7:24am
Clap   I've got one also. Mine works great too. I've used it for several projects. And you're correct now that I have it, I think up ways to use it. It makes things so much simpler and less apt to screw stuff up. You know, no big hammers......

The only downfall is, it could have been taller. But I figured I could get some steel bent into a channel or just buy a chunk of channel and weld it to the legs after drilling some more holes.

Armand

Edited by White70JavelinSST - Mar/10/2014 at 3:40pm
70 Javelin SST, second owner, purchased 1972
RamblinMan View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RamblinMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/10/2014 at 10:44am
I have the 20 ton. If you REALLY wanna make it enjoyable, ad the air over hydraulic ram to it. It's a direct fit and REALLY speeds up you work and it's well worth it, especially if you have the 20% coupon. I did the same to my engine hoist as they have one that fits it also.

The Right Reverend of Blessed Acceleration
White70JavelinSST View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White70JavelinSST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/10/2014 at 3:41pm
RamblinMan,

Which engine hoist are you refferring to. Post a link please.

Thanks,

Armand
70 Javelin SST, second owner, purchased 1972
1greasygt View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1greasygt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/10/2014 at 4:34pm
Originally posted by White70JavelinSST White70JavelinSST wrote:

RamblinMan,

Thanks,

Armand

X 2 on that.
jblue1555 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jblue1555 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/10/2014 at 5:58pm
Go too SWAG offroad he makes acc. for harbor freight tools
RamblinMan View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RamblinMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/10/2014 at 8:53pm
Originally posted by White70JavelinSST White70JavelinSST wrote:

RamblinMan,

Thanks,

Armand[/vDIV]

My hoist is a folding Excaliber brand (bought about 15 years ago at Auto zone). It's been my experience that they're all pretty universal with the ram. A friend of mine has a no-name hoist and it fit his too.

http://www.harborfreight.com/8-ton-long-ram-air-hydraulic-jack-94562.html#.Ux56iY4o7bU

Edited by RamblinMan - Mar/10/2014 at 8:56pm
The Right Reverend of Blessed Acceleration
Wrambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/11/2014 at 8:25pm
Yea, they do work good for the money.
I bought one off of a scratch and dent place that bought lots of returns, etc;

It was perfect and $100 when they sold new for $100.
So, Why'd I buy it? It was assembled Wink I didn't have to do it.

Plus I could tell everything was there and correct.

I have used it for things I would have never thought of.
A couple of years ago I bought a "lot" of odd AMC renault Jeep shop tools, rounds, odds and ends. Stuff that is the "thing" you need when you least expect it.

Keep an eye out at swaps, you'll be surprised at the strange things that can be bought for cheap and make press work easy.

I even found an actual Piston pin removal and installation jig made in the Renault years.
Wrambler
69 AMC Rambler
4.0L, 5 speed
2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
2019 Chrysler 300
Fat Gasket Garage View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fat Gasket Garage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/20/2014 at 10:06am
I love mine. Once you start making attachements for it you can do all kinds of things with it. We started useing it for fixing chrome bumpers with a few attachments we made.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic