TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Harlan Sharp rockers

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ramzilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Harlan Sharp rockers
    Posted: Apr/01/2020 at 1:35pm
Help AMC Buddies
Got my motor out 1969 390 SC Rambler. Just got my Harlan Sharp rollers 4004. Thought I would set one on rocker stud to see about valve cover clearance but there is a shoulder on factory stud that the rocker will not fit over. Also it does not look like the factory screw in stud even if it fit over shoulder there would only be about 1/4 inch of threads. Do not want to replace factory studs. Help me pick a good quality roller rocker that will work with my factory studs if possible.
HELP HELP Larry   
SC Rambler
PHAT69AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PHAT69AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/01/2020 at 2:03pm
afaik only stock original stamped steel rockers will work with stock shouldered positive stop non-adjustable rocker studs.
Heavy 488 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heavy 488 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/01/2020 at 2:10pm
If the studs need to stay then you're back to stock rockers
Ramzilla View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ramzilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/01/2020 at 3:15pm
Thanks much
Dumb question do the studs come out with out damage to heads.
And from what company would you recommend to get studs already have crane cam lifters timing chain. I am sure summit has them.
Since I already have the 3/8 inch Harlan sharp rockers and they are soo pretty.
I guess the next step is to replace studs. Should I use some type locking compound and what would they the studs be torque to. this is my first build since the 60s. It was easier then I was younger too.
Thanks for all the help and I can hear the laughter.
But I don't care Larry
SC Rambler
mramc View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mramc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/01/2020 at 4:58pm
The factory rocker arm studs just unbolt, just like small block Chevy ones do. If i recall correctly and it has been a long while, you need studs for adjustable rocker arms for Oldsmobile, Big Block Ford and Big Block Chevy. And also if I recall correctly and they have not changed over the decades they should be a little taller then the factory rocker arm studs. Those should be the right interchange here again if they not changed in the last couple decades. Like I said , its been a while since I messed with this. Some one with more recent experience may have a better idea. LRDaum
LRDaum
Ramzilla View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ramzilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/01/2020 at 5:34pm
This is what I found on Crane Web site.

narrow body 3/8" stud rocker arms without cylinder head machining.
TECH NOTES:

TOP STUD DIA. BOTTOM
& THREAD      STUD DIA. &
              THREAD                 
3/8"-24       7/16"-14   DIM A       DIM B.      DIM. C.    DIM. D   PART NO.

2.396       .700       1.750          .806     99156-16
                         Total   Motor   top part    Top thread
                         Legt    Legt
                                 in head
Thanks your help if this does not sound right let me know. Larry
mixed up View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mixed up Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/01/2020 at 7:40pm
use the sure lock rocker nut to make them adjustable and big block studs they may not clear factory valve covers depends on lift I know a 540 lift will clear covers I had that on my 290 but my 401 with 590 will not clear covers
69 amx 290 auto
65 220 290 4spd
80 ford fairmont
WesternRed View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/02/2020 at 5:08am
Just buy some Chevy rocker studs, problem solved:

and not much expense either.
I've finally given up drinking for good...........now I only drink for evil.
WesternRed View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/02/2020 at 5:12am
You will also need a set of these:

I've finally given up drinking for good...........now I only drink for evil.
mramc View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mramc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/02/2020 at 5:00pm
Yes, The Comp Rocker arm studs 4502-16 should be the right studs and Harlan Sharp rocker arms at least back in the day a couple decades ago came with the adjustable rocker arm nuts. But Harlan Sharp was running the company back then and some one else owns it now. Harlan Sharp is the name in roller rockers because he actually invented them. LRDaum
LRDaum
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic