TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Electrical - non engine
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Headlight knob

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phil 660 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Headlight knob
    Posted: Sep/15/2018 at 4:54pm
The headlight switch knob pulls right out of the dash without turning the headlights or the running lights on .
Is there a way to fix that or where can I buy a new one to replace it .
ccowx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccowx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/15/2018 at 6:03pm
I believe some can be bought and some not. 1970 is a particularly bad year for that. What kind of vehicle are you dealing with?

Thanks!

Chris 
pacerman View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pacerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/15/2018 at 6:11pm
If both the knob and the shaft are pulling out together, try reinserting the shaft into the switch and turning it clockwise until the shaft locks into place like it is supposed to.  If it will not lock stay in the switch after doing that, you might need a new headlight switch.  Joe
Happiness is making something out of nothing.
george w View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote george w Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/15/2018 at 7:48pm
There should be a pointed barb end with a little groove right behind it on the end of the shaft. The knob/shaft should push straight all the way into the headlight switch. It should "click" into place. No click, then the shaft is not locked in. Maybe clean up the shaft with some WD-40 or light oil and see if it locks in place.
Long time AMC fan. Ambassador 343, AMX 390, Hornet 360, Spirit 304 and Javelin 390. All but javelin bought new.
danalog View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote danalog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/15/2018 at 8:03pm
Hi there, what kind of vehicle are you dealing with? Depending on the car the process could be completely different.
Someassemblyrqd View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Someassemblyrqd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/15/2018 at 8:29pm
Being that I just installed my headlight switch, I can telll you that if the bezel shaft that screws into the headlight unit is not screwed into the base adequately the knob and shaft will not go into the unit far enough to make contact with the internal clip.
Greg E.
Phil 660 View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phil 660 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/16/2018 at 6:52am
1963 Rambler classic 660
It’s my first rambler, so I don’t know all the ins and outs , ill try these ,
thank you very much all of you I will try those suggestions.
And I’m looking forward to getting to know more AMC enthusiasts.😁
Phil 660 View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phil 660 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/16/2018 at 1:07pm
It worked!! Pushed in , heard click!
They work !
Thank you all 🎉
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic