TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

High hp Manual Trans for 68 343

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TurboSst Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: High hp Manual Trans for 68 343
    Posted: May/10/2017 at 9:07am
I have a 68 ambassador sst 343 and im going to be making about 500 horsepower and upwards of 600ftlbs for now with it and i want to take the bw 3 speed out but i have no idea what to use for a transmisson? im not putting a 727 in it with a shift kit either i like actually banging gears,cutting the tunnel hump and fabbing up a crossmember are not an issue. i would prefer a 5 or a 6 speed trans im kind of on a budget 
tufcj View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tufcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/10/2017 at 11:25am
Prepare to blow the budget. If you make that kind of HP/torque, you'd probably have to go with a T-56 for a 6 speed, or a TKO600 or Legend SS700 5 speed. The TKO600 is probably the cheapest at $2500, the Legend is in the $3500 range. I'm not sure what a T-56 goes for. You'll also probably need a Quick-Time bellhousing which will be another $700.

Also prepare to upgrade everything else downstream of the trans, driveshaft, axle or axle shafts, springs, etc.

Bob
tufcj
69 AMX
74 Javelin AMX
67 Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
you'll eventually pay for it...
and not have it.
Henry Ford
dltowers View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dltowers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/10/2017 at 11:34am
Why is it that all young folks...."Want HP and Speed?"....

Original Owner, 1974 Javelin:
360ci,2v,727TC. Motorola Multiplex with 8-Track.
G4 Plum exterior with 421Q Black Uganda Interior. Purchased on July 16, 1974 from Hooker AMC, Sherman, TX for $4500.20
401MATCOUPE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 401MATCOUPE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/10/2017 at 11:36am
I hope you are using the term "kind of on a budget" very loosely....500HP and 600ft/lbs requirements is not a cheap 343 or any AMC build and if you are making that kind of HP, then you need to go to a TKO 6 Speed or other similar trans that will eat over $3K of your money, plus a expensive bell housing and billet flywheel...add another $1K.  The best "budget" manual trans solution I know of is a World Class T-5 in its best stock form is about 350 ft/lbs.

Check out this article on Upgrades to T-5 by G-Force or Tremec.

http://www.hotrod.com/articles/five-speed-manuals/

If you want to go TKO 6060, be prepared to spend near $4K just for the trans, and becareful every OEM has a different final drive ration in the double overdrive.  Viper and Challenger final drive is .5, all other OEM's the final drive is closer to .6-.7 (Ford and GM).
Ross K. Peterson
68X,GoPac,343,AT,52A(1stCar)
68X,GoPac,390,4sp,52A
69X,GoPac,390,4sp,64A
70X,GoPac,390,4sp,87A,8
70X,GoPac,390,4sp,BBO,8
70 Jav SST,390,AT,BSO
74MatX,401,AT,Prototype
74MatX,401,AT
Red Devil View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/10/2017 at 1:06pm
The T56 Magnum (aftermarket version of the TR-6060 for more universal fit and rated 700lbf.ft/7000rpm shift) is currently just over $3000. Tremec has same pricing for all dealers, but some may sell in kit form for a bit less. I bought mine from the local Canadian Tremec Elite dealer.
T56 Magnum

NeedafasterAMX did a Viper T56 install using a stock short bell with adapter plate. A creative person could do a similar install with the T56 Magnum ... but an SFI bell would be suggested.
NeedafasterAMX Viper T56

Some more details here.
6 speed transmission

Richmond SuperStreet 5 speed is also rated 600lbf.ft.

Hope this helps,RD
shootist View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shootist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/10/2017 at 2:17pm
I am installing the GM TKO600 that has been cryo treated to handle 1000HP. The problem is that the terms "high horsepower" "AMC" and "budget" are certainly not interchangable by any stretch of the imagination. Anyway, my application of the TKO 600 is just under $7000. This of course came with shifter, clutch assembly, bellhousing, flywheel, pilot bearing, spline and transmisison but left me still needing a driveshaft so all said and done I will be easily at or just over 7k.
DaemonForce View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaemonForce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/10/2017 at 2:47pm
I suggest you stick to the TKO or a T5Z. There's a LOT of muscle and calculating going on here that will immediately nix any shot at an inexpensive candidate unless you go to a 4spd HD truck transmission like a T-18 or NP435. Stay away from "Viper spec" 6spds and comb the yards for something feasible if you can. Personally I would hunt for a 4spd from a RWD Cherokee as a temporary solution and then make the jump to the TKO when money allows for it.
purple72Gremlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/10/2017 at 9:04pm
Originally posted by DaemonForce DaemonForce wrote:

you go to a 4spd HD truck transmission like a T-18 or NP435. . Personally I would hunt for a 4spd from a RWD Cherokee as a temporary solution and then make the jump to the TKO when money allows for it.
where I live there isnt hardly any 4 spds of any kind any more.  You think anyone besides you is going to put a truck 4spd in a car?  the truck 4spds are slow....wide gear spacing, and made for loads........not high performance.  plus many of them use their own bellhousings, and 11 or 12 inch clutches.....you need supermans strength for the clutch pedal in a car....Miserable.....
TurboSst View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TurboSst Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/10/2017 at 10:53pm
Im trying to find something i can get out of another car from maybe a junkyard or something, just something that will take abuse for a little while, beucase my 343 is being turbocharged so i plan on having fun with the 343 until it dies, then a built smallblock mopar or ford is going in with a t56. i would be fine with a 4 speed now that you mention it i just dont know what will work

What about a t-10?
purple72Gremlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/10/2017 at 11:12pm
T-10 will work, and will work...for quite a while
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic