TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Inline Tube Brake Lines

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakesideRamblin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Inline Tube Brake Lines
    Posted: Apr/29/2016 at 11:31am
I am converting to a manual disc brake system on my '69 Rambler.  Saw this listed on ebay.  Anyone use these guys for replacing brake lines ?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Manual-Factory-Disc-Brake-Line-Set-1969-AMC-Rambler-Lines-Kit-Tubes-Stainless-/371241011429?fits=Year%3A1969%7CModel%3ARambler&hash=item566fb048e5:g:R~QAAOSwYGFUwAWw&vxp=mtr

Thanks.
LakesideRamblin
69 Rambler 360
73 Javelin 360
"If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month." T. Roosevelt
FeloniousAssaultPerf View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote FeloniousAssaultPerf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/29/2016 at 11:33am
Inline tube is awesome. I do alot of strange cars and they are local to me they will scan it bend and have it back to me in a week. use their stuff on everything. you might want to hit the inline tube website for a better deal.
White70JavelinSST View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote White70JavelinSST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/29/2016 at 4:09pm
I have read reports on this forum that all stainless steel setups are a bit more difficult to get to seal at the connections because stainless steel is harder than plated steel tubes.
just sayin....
70 Javelin SST, second owner, purchased 1972
THE MENACE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote THE MENACE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/29/2016 at 4:58pm
Originally posted by White70JavelinSST White70JavelinSST wrote:

I have read reports on this forum that all stainless steel setups are a bit more difficult to get to seal at the connections because stainless steel is harder than plated steel tubes.
just sayin....

Inline does make nice stuff, (great fit) but as Armand said the stainless tubing can be a PITA to get leak free. I had a tuff time getting the stainless tube to seal at the left rear wheel Cyl. I just kept tightening it until it stopped leaking, but it took a lot more than I would normally put on a brake line fitting, but it hasn't leaked since.

Dennis

Former Owner of:
The Craig Breedlove "AERO AMX"

Still Owner:
SS/AMX #9 replica (THE BIG MENACE)
70 AMX 416, EFI, Nash 5 speed   
70 Javelin 401, 727 (Wife's car)
72 Gremlin Autocross Project.
Peter Marano View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Peter Marano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/29/2016 at 8:23pm
For a troublesome connection I have used Teflon paste or tape on the threads, no to seal but to get more clamping force for the torque applied.
6PakBee View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote 6PakBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/30/2016 at 7:51am
One of my friends working on a '67 Mustang went with the stainless lines.  Every connection leaked like a sieve.  He ended up using a steel fitting (old wheel cylinder, master cylinder, etc) and tightening the living daylights out of each inverted flare fitting to form the flare so it wouldn't leak when installed in the permanent location.  A real PITA.  After watching him struggle, I'm going to buy steel lines and a can of silver paint.
Roger Gazur
1969 'B' Scheme SC/Rambler
1970 RWB 4-spd Machine
1970 Sonic Silver auto AMX

All project cars.

Forum Cockroach
pit crew View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote pit crew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/30/2016 at 9:23am
Originally posted by 6PakBee 6PakBee wrote:

After watching him struggle, I'm going to buy steel lines and a can of silver paint.
Seymour makes a paint that has 100% stainless steel pigment. It works great when your going for that stainless steel look and it is good for rust prevention.

http://www.amazon.com/Stainless-Steel-Protective-Spray-Paint/dp/B000ELVTJG

73 Hornet - 401EFI - THM400 - Twin Grip 20
Red Devil View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/30/2016 at 11:00am
Copper-nickel brake tubing gets my vote. Easy to form, easy to flare, doesn't rust, seals well.   Much nicer to work with than steel or stainless. 
LakesideRamblin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakesideRamblin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/30/2016 at 9:15pm
Interesting. How long have you used the copper-nickel? Is it expensive and do you know of a good vendor? May be the best of all worlds.
LakesideRamblin
69 Rambler 360
73 Javelin 360
"If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month." T. Roosevelt
Red Devil View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Red Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/30/2016 at 10:40pm
First used it on my pickup a few years ago after a corroded factory steel line failed. It's readily available from most automotive shops.  I'll never go back to steel.

http://www.jegs.com/p/JEGS-Performance-Products/JEGS-NiCopp-Nickel-Copper-Brake-Lines/2111534/10002/-1

http://www.copper.org/applications/automotive/brake-tube/brake.html

Hope this helps.
Edit: Fixed links

Edited by Red Devil - May/02/2016 at 10:21am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic