TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Issues installing my 727 on my 343

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 69javND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Issues installing my 727 on my 343
    Posted: Jul/30/2016 at 3:13pm
Ok so I have a conversion kit to swap a 727 onto my 343. Conversion kit does allow me to bolt it right up with no problems but I am having problems with my alignment holes on the flex plate. Also it appears that the torque converter does not snug right up to flex plate.
The reason I am swapping is due to someone used a 6 cylinder flex plate and transmission on the car prior to me getting it. The flex plate was busted so I found a used one that is said d to be for a 343. It does look like the 343 plate in the flex plate sticky. However it appears to be a style for the starter to be facing towards rear of car instead of the front based on the taper on the edge of the ring gear faces the rear of the car. Did AMC ever run their starters this way? Could my alignment issues for the torque converter be due to it is a different style? Any help is appreciated.
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/30/2016 at 4:44pm
Since the starter bolts to the tranny, the Flex plate must match to the torque converter. So I would imagine, you need a rebalanced 360 Flex plate to match the 343 Flex plate balance.

there is a thread on making a torque flight fit a 71 crank, which would be very similar, but again the flex plate may be the key. Also you must match the starter to the fitment years of the flex plate. There are two different starters, one being pre 81 and the other after.
71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
WesternRed View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/30/2016 at 5:17pm
May seem obvious, but do you have the flax plate mounted the right way around?
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/30/2016 at 5:31pm
71 Javelin SST body
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
69javND View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 69javND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/30/2016 at 7:46pm
I'm using a 72 727 so my starter is the old style. I still wonder about the flex plate ring gear is reversed. Yes I tried flipping it around but the the flex plate won't fit as it hits backing plate before making contact with the crank so I know it's correct. There is not much info on this conversion. The post above has the guy going in a different direction than me and he fortunately has a 360 so swapping flex plates would be easy unlike this darn 343.
uncljohn View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncljohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/30/2016 at 10:04pm
Originally posted by 69javND 69javND wrote:

Ok so I have a conversion kit to swap a 727 onto my 343

so I found a used one (flex plate) that is said d to be for a 343.

Any help is appreciated.

A 343 never had a torqueflyte transmission bolted up to it, they used BW transmissions.
Thus if you found a flex plate that appears to be for a 343 than that flex plate is for a BW transmission not a Torqueflyte (727, 904 or 998)

I would hazard a guess that you are having problems fitting that package together, because it don't fit.
Now I do not have clue what a conversion kit is to put a 727 on your 343 is but if I had to guess it is an adapter to put on the end of the 343 crank shaft so that you can put a torqueflyte flex plate on it, that is one from an I-6 built after 1972, one from a 401, 360 or 304 that has been rebalanced to 343 specifications or something similar so that you can bolt the crank shaft of the 343 to the flex plate and have it be compatible with the 727 and work with a starter. In essence you want to have the 343 look like a 360 (picked because there are more of them around) and use a 727 transmission.
And if the pieces are not going together it is because you have accumulated the wrong pieces.
just a guess, I hope it has some credibility.

70 390 5spd Donohue
74 Hornet In restoration
76 Hornet, 5.7L Mercury Marine Power
80 Fuel Injected I6 Spirit
74 232 I-6, 4bbl, 270HL Isky Cam
69javND View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 69javND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/30/2016 at 11:43pm
It is the adaptor from American Performance which is what I called the conversion since that is its function. Everything I have gathered from the few posts on the net I had seen did not mention the need to swap flex plates. The adaptor is not to bolt a flex plate on but rather a spacer that bolts to the flex plate that the shaft from the torque converter rides in. There are two other shims that bolt between the transmission and the engine so everything is equaled out for clearance. I'm going to take the 360 flex plate off the ambassador tomorrow and see if how you describe works. In theory it sounds correct if I reverse the spacer. If it mates up then I will get it rebalanced.

A large issue is I never had the right flex plate or transmission to begin with as the previous owner used a six cylinder flex plate and transmission. The flex plate I sourced from a guy on this board has the ring gear facing backwards so I wonder what the heck that came out of. It matches the photos on the flex plate id sticky on this forum for a 343 but I don't know of any AMC with the starter facing the rear of the car. I'm eventually swapping the 343 out for a 401 I have so I don't want to buy a Borg transmission. I already had the adaptor so was going to give it a try. Everything mates up clearance wise except of course the bolt holes for the converter.

Edited by 69javND - Jul/30/2016 at 11:53pm
uncljohn View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncljohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/31/2016 at 12:32am
The previous owner use a 6 cylinder flex plate and transmission?
What Flex plate and transmission.
Was it a BW transmission or a Torque Flyte?
That is important.
An AMC torque Flyte is a 1972 or newer engine application.
As far as I know and read this carefully, the torque flyte application does not care if the flex plate is from a 6 or any of the V8's as long as it has been RE-BALANCED to 343 flex plate specifications.
Torque Flytes all have the starter in the same position.
So going back to the original statement, the Original owner used a 6 cylinder flex plate and transmission.
Now if it was a 904 which frankly can be done and rebuilt to be healthy enough will live behind a 343 short of being brutal about driving it. The flex plate was the correct one for the application. Providing it was rebalanced correctly for the 343 engine it would also work for the 727.
Now if you are trying to make parts work that belonged on a BW transmission, that dog just will not hunt no matter how hard you throw the rabbit out.
Again, I have no idea what you are using as a conversion kit. Sorry never had enough interest in a 343 to build on one myself.
But I do know this.
A BW Flex plate will not work with a 727 transmission.
So what is it you really have?

Look here for additional information, maybe this will help you:

Discussion on adapting 727 (Or 998/904) to AMC 343 V8

Edited by uncljohn - Jul/31/2016 at 12:39am
70 390 5spd Donohue
74 Hornet In restoration
76 Hornet, 5.7L Mercury Marine Power
80 Fuel Injected I6 Spirit
74 232 I-6, 4bbl, 270HL Isky Cam
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/31/2016 at 5:36am
Uncljohn, has given another bit of info, on what can be done. like I said through my previous posts, you need a TF flywheel. Though it will need to be balanced to the 343 BW flex plate spec. I would figure a 360 flywheel would be a good start.
71 Javelin SST body
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
addic View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote addic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/31/2016 at 9:46am
ive used the conversion ,piece that goes on end of crankshaft and moon shaped spacer,this was on a 71 401, you have to use a newer flex plate,
73 401 Pierre Cardin X P1
73 401 Pierre Cardin X F3     70 X 390 4spd
69 X 401 6 spd
69 AMX 401 auto BSO
73 AMX 401 4speed pc
73 vette 427sb 5spd
73 vette convt.?
08 zx14
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic