TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Jegs Distributor

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Jegs Distributor
    Posted: Jul/17/2018 at 5:43pm
Is anybody running the Jegs distributor, JEGS SSR-II Pro Series Distributor for AMC/Jeep V8, wondering if it is any good? 

Just looking for something with a magnetic pickup the I can run locked and let the Holley Sniper do the timing control.

pit crew View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote pit crew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/17/2018 at 10:33pm
I am using an MSD dizzy with the Sniper and so far so good.

73 Hornet - 401EFI - THM400 - Twin Grip 20
WesternRed View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/17/2018 at 10:42pm
The Jegs distributor is half the price of MSD, that's why I'm asking. Seems a bit of a waste to spend all of that money on the MSD one and then just run it locked.

Are you running yours through the MSD box or just using the sniper ignition module?
jcisworthy View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jcisworthy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/18/2018 at 3:38am
I have used 3 of them so far with no issues. It is a MSD copy
Specializing in dyno services, engine building, and cylinder head porting

rbjracing.com
Phone Number 518-915-3203
WesternRed View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/18/2018 at 5:09am
Cool, they certainly look pretty similar to the MSD ones.

PS: on special at the moment
1982AMCConcord View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1982AMCConcord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/18/2018 at 6:27am
I just saw this myself yesterday. Seems like a good unit for a good price. I like that it doesn't have a Large HEI style cap.

In the ad its says: CD Ignition Box Required (available separately)

Is there one that is recommended?

What coil would you guys use with this one?

Also... what does "locking" the distributor mean?

Thanks.
pit crew View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote pit crew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/18/2018 at 7:13am
Originally posted by WesternRed WesternRed wrote:

The Jegs distributor is half the price of MSD, that's why I'm asking. Seems a bit of a waste to spend all of that money on the MSD one and then just run it locked.

Are you running yours through the MSD box or just using the sniper ignition module?
I am using a 6A box and a MSD SS coil. This is what MSD recommended as the bare minimum for use with their Atomic EFI so it was already in place when I switched to the Holley Sniper. Holley's big thing is a "clean" signal from the distributor or even a crank position sensor.

My setup may be overkill but it was already in place. What ever you decide to use keep the wires away from anything that might generate electronic interference. Holley pushes hard on their dual sync distributor as the best match for the Sniper but as usual they don't make one for AMC.

I understand the whole cost issue but most important, at least from Holley's perspective, is a clean signal. The more accurately it can track the crank position the better it can handle timing.

pit crew View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote pit crew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/18/2018 at 7:21am
Originally posted by 1982AMCConcord 1982AMCConcord wrote:

Also... what does "locking" the distributor mean?

Thanks.
You modify the distributor so that it no longer changes the timing based on vacuum or with the weights. The quick explanation is the EFI unit will control timing by either delaying or advancing the "timing" of the spark in relation to what it thinks the rotor position is. That is why the "clean" signal from the distributor is so important.

vinny View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/18/2018 at 8:54am
https://www.skipwhiteperformance.com/catalog/amc-jeep-cj5-cj7-304-360-401-v-8-hei-distributor-6512-r_89664/

There used to be a lot of discussion on these.
jcisworthy View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jcisworthy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/18/2018 at 2:09pm
This one is what I used. It is a plug and play, no box required. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/AMC-Jeep-290-401-V8-Pro-Series-Ready-to-Run-Distributor-red-cap/361830383573?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649
Specializing in dyno services, engine building, and cylinder head porting

rbjracing.com
Phone Number 518-915-3203
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic