TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

levis interior.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mstrcrftr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: levis interior.
    Posted: Nov/28/2013 at 6:47pm
I am doing some research on the cars that came with the levis interior package.  i have a 74 amx that i bought as the second owner in 75.  lady across the street bought it brand new two years prior. it came with the levi interior.   a lot of people that i have been talking to say that amc never produced a 74 with this interior.  hence the questions. 
does anyone know what cars amc put them into? 
does anyone have a car (any model) that has a levi interior and if so can i get pictures of the seats and headliner.

thanks
Barney
Fluffy73 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fluffy73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/28/2013 at 7:10pm
Levi's package was available for Gremlin and Hornet only.  I've never seen any factory or dealership literature saying it was available for Javelin. Javelin got the Pierre Cardin package.
I am genetically incapable of being Politically Correct.
mstrcrftr View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mstrcrftr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/28/2013 at 7:25pm
the seats had the tiny little red tag that said levi sewn into one of the edges of the upper seatback. my seats are high back buckets as all amx's came with.  rear seat had the lilttle red levi tag also.

i would love to see a set of levi seats ... anyone got a set of pics?
ramblinrev View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramblinrev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/28/2013 at 8:45pm
Would love to see a picture of the trim tag on the driver's door! (or supply the information if you can't post a picture!)

74 Hornet Hatchback X twins (since 1977)
62 American Convertible (still worth the $50 I spent in 1973!) AMCRC #513, AMO #384
70 AMX 360 4-speed (since 1981)
uncljohn View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncljohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/28/2013 at 8:48pm
Originally posted by mstrcrftr mstrcrftr wrote:

I am doing some research on the cars that came with the levis interior package.  i have a 74 amx that i bought as the second owner in 75.  lady across the street bought it brand new two years prior. it came with the levi interior.   a lot of people that i have been talking to say that amc never produced a 74 with this interior.  hence the questions. 
does anyone know what cars amc put them into? 
does anyone have a car (any model) that has a levi interior and if so can i get pictures of the seats and headliner.

thanks
Barney

I have a 1974 Hornet X car with the Levi Interior. It does need full restoration but it is about 99% complete no matter what the condition. I also have a 1974 AMC TSM and if there is something that identifies what interior it has I did not see it with a quick look.
Every thing I have says only the Hornet and Gremlin had the Levi interior. Not only does the interior consist of Levi material and the buttons on the seat but I think there is a decal on the body that identifies that too.
I have been told by a number of people that the Levi interior was not only Blue, but a brown or tan color too.  I have never seen anything but blue.
The material is or was available from interior suppliers, and I have stored enough material to re-upholster the car with along with new rugs. The interior code on the door panel says it is blue. The car is a 1974 Hornet Hatch back.
As 1974 is almost 40 years old, almost anything can be expected as people may have modified or installed almost any variation of things.
1974 was a time when a buyer could order almost any option that they wanted.  While literature indicates only Gremlin or Hornets had the levi interior, nothing would surprise me that something could be traced back to an OEM installation.  Time I would think would be to chase down all the codes on the door tags to see what comes up.  Anything out of the ordinary, would indicate something different is going on.

70 390 5spd Donohue
74 Hornet In restoration
76 Hornet, 5.7L Mercury Marine Power
80 Fuel Injected I6 Spirit
74 232 I-6, 4bbl, 270HL Isky Cam
mstrcrftr View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mstrcrftr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/28/2013 at 8:49pm
i am going to dig thru all of my pictures from the mid 70's  i know there is at least one or two showing the car the day i bought i...  
Ohio AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ohio AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/29/2013 at 7:31am
The Levi's option started with the Gremlin and proved so popular that coverage expanded to the Hornet, Pacer (1977 only), newer AMX and Jeeps. Additional colors included tan, red and black, mainly in the later years. I believe that some or all of the Jeep seats were actually vinyl printed to look like denim. The package included denim trimmed door panels but the headliner was no different than any other car with a blue interior.

I have never heard of a Levi's Javelin, or AMX earlier than 1977. But as already mentioned dealerships would go to great lengths to sell cars back then, and switching equipment around was not unheard of. If your Javelin did receive seats from a Hornet or Gremlin it would be interesting to know how they came up with a matching back seat. And as others have said I would like to know the door tag TRIM code to compare it with other '74 Javelins.

1940 Hupmobile Skylark
1968 Javelin future Pro Street
1969 AMX 290/auto (first car)
1997 Dodge SS/T 5.9L
AMO# 983
mstrcrftr View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mstrcrftr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/01/2013 at 1:06pm
trim tag has been missing for years.. thats one of the reasons i would like to see some pictures of a levi interior.. i want to see if its the same as mine was..

uncljohn View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncljohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/01/2013 at 1:41pm
Originally posted by mstrcrftr mstrcrftr wrote:

trim tag has been missing for years.. thats one of the reasons i would like to see some pictures of a levi interior.. i want to see if its the same as mine was..

O.k, give me a couple of days and I will get as many pictures as I can of what the interior looks like. Keep in mind it needs a total interior restoration which it will get and I have the material on the shelf to do it with so it won't be pretty but the it is complete.

70 390 5spd Donohue
74 Hornet In restoration
76 Hornet, 5.7L Mercury Marine Power
80 Fuel Injected I6 Spirit
74 232 I-6, 4bbl, 270HL Isky Cam
mstrcrftr View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mstrcrftr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/01/2013 at 1:53pm
thank you uncljohn
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic